Holiday gift for tenants

Holiday gift for tenants

Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes

Every year I give my tenants a small gift for the holidays. Some examples are Poinsettia and deluxe chocolate covered mixed nuts. 

I’m looking for an idea for this year that’s not a boring gift card. What do you give?  

7Reply
188 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Well... i consider myself to be a pretty adept business person and I like to make money :).  I also strive to be professional with my tenants. 

While I would not hang out with my tenants, I do think a card or low cost thoughtful gift is fine.  I always try to remember that my business is a service. 

One final note: i find that being approachable, professional and kind is a win win for all involved.  

See this reply in the discussion

112 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Adrian Smude,

    We don't do holiday gifts.. sure, $25 sounds like a nice amount.. but what about when you get 10, 20, 100 tenants?      They'd probably prefer a note just saying to pay $25 less in rent.     I always thought that's what I'd do, but I do agree...  most won't appreciate it, and just be like.. yeah.. this a-hole is obviously overcharging me $25/mo if that's what he is giving me.    

    Instead-- each year we put $200 to an upgrade to their house!    It gives us a chance to check on the property, and fix anything small they might not have thought was important, is tax deductible-- and shows you care about their quality of life.    It's always been surprising, in a good way, what people ask for, because until you live there-- you don't know what it's lacking.   Skip the xmas presents, and buy yourself an improvement --of their choice at renewal!   

     What kind of improvements do you offer?

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 501 posts · 504 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Wankel:

    @Moises B. This is a great idea to keep tenants if you only have a couple of units. However, I can see it becoming a significant expense if someone has multiple doors. Especially if you have a few multi-family properties. 

     If you have 1,000 doors, a $25 gift is $25,000. But if you have 1,000 doors, $25,000 is not much money, right? Plus, you have staff that can handle the administrative task of distributing that many gifts. At least I hope that is the case. If not, then you're a hobby landlord and how did you ever scale up that big without running it as a business?

    Note: I am not even saying you should give a gift. I have been a small landlord for over ten years and have never given a gift to a tenant (although I am an investor in properties that have holiday parties for tenants). I am just saying that there is nothing wrong with it if you think it helps your business.

    Those of you saying your tenants should be giving you a gift for putting up with them, either you you need to improve your tenant screening or your rent is too low. I thought you were running a business, not a hobby? 

  • Naperville, IL · Member since 2018 · 330 posts · 357 votes
    7y

    And to those saying we are "wasting money".  Why in the world do you care how I spend MY money?  Do you run around judging people who buy nice cars,  travel the world,  get massages?  Merry Christmas.  I hope you have the actual capacity to be merry...sometimes on here it seems that many of you don't!

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    Originally posted by @Alvin Sylvain:
    Originally posted by @Dennis M.:
    When you give a tenant a gift card the followIng thoughts are usually what take place .

    Landlord : I’m going to give tenant X a 25$ Walmart gift card to show gratitude and express generosity toward him for paying on time and he will then know how much I appreciate his tenancy this past year .ill feel good and he will feel good .

    Tenant X: I’m surprised the landlord gave me anything he’s so cheap . Figures it was only a lousy 25$ gift card ! Its the very least he can do because I paid for it anyway through my rent ! must be nice ..must be great to have plenty of extra money that he can afford to just hand out gift cards to everybody like nothing .guess im going to Wally World to get a few packs of smokes now .

    So you're saying is that when you give a tenant a gift, you're going to piss them off so much, they're all going to go on a rent strike and burn your building down then sue you?

    Because if they don't, my thoughts are that at the very least you're no worse off than before. More likely, the tenant will have a smile of happiness -- everybody likes getting gifts -- even if that smile is only for a brief second or two.

    I'm willing to risk it.

    --

    I remember in my younger days, the company where I worked reached some kind of anniversary. 25th, 50th, I don't remember. They gave all the employees a little commemorative dish. Must have cost $50 each in today's money. We all made jokes about how the company was pulling down millions, then only spring for this little cheap, crappy "ash tray". Hey, why don't they give us money? Hey, how about a raise in pay, Mr. Cheap-A** Company? Hey, why isn't this real gold lettering, we could at least scrape it off for a few pennies? 

    But you know what -- joke as we may, none of us tossed it.

    Some even set it out on their desk with what must have been some measure of pride, small as it might have been.

    So yah, none of us could take it to the store to buy cigarettes, and we couldn't melt it down into a gold nugget that would let us retire, and we all had a good ol' time joking about it, and I doubt any of us worked any harder for the Man over it. But we kept it.

    When did I say they would go on strike  ,sue me,or burn the place down ?? I didn’t imply that at all . The point is they will  -likely -not appreciate the gift they will see it as a bribe which it is and most tenants have a different view on this tenant landlord relationship . In fact many times they despise the landlord . Why give people like that gifts ? 

    It’s simply not necessary and a futile effort . If you want to waste money go for it ! Keep bribing your tenants and patting yourself on the back How pius and noble you are for helping the downtrodden during the holidays . 

     You are absolutely right -- they won't strike, sue, or burn the place down (knock on wood!) 

    Which means I've got nothing to lose, and maybe -- just maybe -- a little something to gain.

    Maybe all you cynics out there are 100% right, and the only person who ends up feeling good is me. Well that's worth something isn't it?

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nancy P.:

    And to those saying we are "wasting money".  Why in the world do you care how I spend MY money?  Do you run around judging people who buy nice cars,  travel the world,  get massages?  Merry Christmas.  I hope you have the actual capacity to be merry...sometimes on here it seems that many of you don't!

    Don't judge people by how they landlord, and especially how they post on BP about landlording. I'm sure even the most cynical person posting here is going to lavish their friends, family and business associates with all manner of holiday wonders. It's just that a lot of people fall into what I call the "That's All Well And Good, But Doesn't Apply To Me" syndrome. Doctors, for example, have it bad.

    (I gotta work on a better name for that syndrome!)

    Landlords, particularly professional ones with 100's of doors, believe there's something "special" about their profession. Well they're right. But every profession has something special about it.

    How you handle that "something special" is up to you.

    I say, if you don't want to give gifts to your tenants, that's fine. But if you do, that's also fine. The worst that will happen in either scenario is -- well -- nothing, really.

    It's your business, handle it the way you see fit, the best way you know how.

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matt M.:
    @Adrian Smude They’re lucky to get a merry Xmas text from me. They should give us gifts for putting up with their bs and giving them a nice place to live

     They are giving us gifts. It's called "rent".

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Alvin Sylvain I couldn’t disagree more. How is paying their rent a gift? We provide a house, they pay for it.
  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @John Leedy,

    It's been very interesting!   We have installed a door knocker and peep hole, stone/gravel walk way, new cabinet, back splash.. it's up to them.    If it's a big item, such as a fence, we tell the tenants to save up the credit.  It's been great, because  like i said-- unless you live there, you don't know what is missing! 

  • Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    My old landlord use to always give me gifts, which always made me think of her as family. I never expected it, and I always felt like I should give her one. However, because I felt like family, I felt like I was borrowing her home, which is the truth, so I took that much more care of it - and did some improvements, too.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y
    • "My old landlord use to always give me gifts, which always made me think of her as family"
    As landlords this is exactly what we want to avoid. Just like never renting to actual family you never want to develop a relationship with tenants beyond professional. Familiarity breeds contempt.

    There may or may not be a upside to giving gifts. There is no down side to not giving gifts.  

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Gift certificate to Target.  Just $20.  

  • Los Angeles · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 471 votes
    7y
    @Matt Michaelson well you're right of course, but I'm refering more to the part about "putting up with their bs". Yah, for that, you get a "gift" called "rent". It's a great "gift exchange"
  • Member since 2018 · 33 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Your probably done with this post by now. I am a small investor with 3 multi families. I send each a handwritten card thanking them for being wonderful, taking care of the property and choosing to rent with us. I also send a $25 movie pass. Most have kids and the feedback I received from my pm is that they love it. I’m human and I want to say thank you for renting from me. I have 10 units, $25 each and I right it off.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 129 posts · 163 votes
    7y
    @Adrian Smude Something useful.. maybe fire extinguishers :)
  • Rental Property Investor · Plant City, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 379 votes
    7y
    I love this.  We won't be doing this this year, but I can see it in our future.  

    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @John Leedy,

    It's been very interesting!   We have installed a door knocker and peep hole, stone/gravel walk way, new cabinet, back splash.. it's up to them.    If it's a big item, such as a fence, we tell the tenants to save up the credit.  It's been great, because  like i said-- unless you live there, you don't know what is missing! 

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 476 votes
    7y

    It's interesting, when I lived in New York City, I remember hearing of folks who lived in nice, relatively higher paying apartment complexes receiving small gifts for renewing their lease. The management would also do what Paul mentioned, hosting events for residents for holidays etc. Of course, people were paying $3000 plus for a one bedroom in most of these places, sometimes closer to $4,0000. I think if you have a tenant who has paid on time, and not been a hassle, a gift is a nice gesture. An even cheaper gesture, is if you know their birthday (from the rental application), sending an email or text wishing them well on that date as well.

    I have a rental where the tenants have only been there since August but always pay timely, keep the area clean, give me mail sent to the property for me, and signed a long-term lease with us - I'l give them a Starbucks card (we have one walking distance from the property), and a nice note thanking  them for being good tenants. This is a house that rents for $3,000 per month. Would I do it if they were paying $600 and it was not in a great area? Honestly, less likely to do so. I think you may as well give them something, if they've been good. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2014 · 592 posts · 320 votes
    7y

    I think it's a great gesture to offer your clients a gift.  My employer offers us a gift every year and I KNOW we aren't friends.  Do what you think in your heart is right!  There will always be negativity.  There is nothing wrong with giving love.  There need to be more people in the worlf that care about others and not simply money.

  • Specialist · Gooding, ID · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Dennis M. I agree with the scaleing issue, however 3 of my buyers give birthday and Christmas presents and their tenants are not only long term but my buyers properties are somehow in better condition than most.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Stockton, CA · Member since 2014 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Adrian Smude A Turkey/Ham/ is always a caring gift or Grocery Card. Group on gives good deals as well @bizbrokerchris
  • Rental Property Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I did $25 gift cards for a few years. However it started to get cumbersome with 50-60 doors. Had one tenant say they didn’t get the gift card. I think her daughter took it. Then I had to decide whether or not to give to someone who was behind or someone who just moved in  - just felt like too much to think through and not productive. Now I limit gift cards to tenants who provide a specific service on a regular basis like common area cleaning, etc. I agree with others - be a responsible landlord, make improvements as needed and be respectful. Tenants will move regardless of whether you provide an annual gift. They will move if you’re not a good landlord. 

  • Redmond, WA · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @John Leedy,

    It's been very interesting!   We have installed a door knocker and peep hole, stone/gravel walk way, new cabinet, back splash.. it's up to them.    If it's a big item, such as a fence, we tell the tenants to save up the credit.  It's been great, because  like i said-- unless you live there, you don't know what is missing! 

     This is an excellent idea - I'll have to start doing this as well!

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I sent 4 tenants restaurant gift cards in a xmas card thanking them for taking care of our property last year.  I received one thank you!!   I will not do it again.

  • Rental Property Investor · Schenectady, NY · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 19 votes
    7y
    My brother’s complex sends a Dunkin’ Donuts gift card to every resident on their birthday and they have over 300 doors at this complex alone, not to mention their others. It’s for $5 sent via email by their apartment manager. Based on their waiting list and rent prices, the 5 to maybe 15 bucks they “gift” goes a long way for people paying $15,000-$20,000 in rent over the course of a year. The fact that it’s not expected seems to make it extra special. I’m afraid to mention the free summer BBQs the complex throws too! Seems to be working for them.
  • Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes
    7y

    I don't have rentals, but I work with people who do. One guy owns the property management company that manages his properties, and he makes it a point to not let the tenants know he owns the property. He and too many other landlords I work with have made the mistake of befriending a tenant and it opens the door to them walking on you. It's a business. When I sell or buy a house from someone I like to send a gift card to a good local restaurant so that they remember me and come back or give me referrals. If the gift won't somehow generate income why do it? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 325 posts · 253 votes
    7y
    @Adrian Smude I give them what my bank gives me for making on time mortgage payment, yes you guessed it. This is business and not a hobby. If you never have a plan to evict them inspire them not paying then by all means create personal relationships otherwise it’s a business relationship.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.