what questions do you ask when calling previous landlord?

what questions do you ask when calling previous landlord?

Lorain, OH · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 53 votes
hey Bp. I’m finishing up the audiobook on managing rental properties by heather & brandon turner. I wanted to know what are some of the question you ask when you’re calling a previous landlord to verify the tenant. I do my 1st rental application verification monday. I just want to hear some of the different answers thanks bp
0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y

Did they pay on time

Any damage when they moved?

Any notices written to them?

Would you rent to them again

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Did they pay on time

    Any damage when they moved?

    Any notices written to them?

    Would you rent to them again

  • Lorain, OH · Member since 2017 · 111 posts · 53 votes
    7y
    @Mary Mitchell thank you so much for the quick reply an info
  • Durham, NC · Member since 2013 · 502 posts · 215 votes
    7y
    First question. What is your relation to the tenant? listen to the clarity or lack thereof of the response.
  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I put some of the questions I ask in this blog post:

    Top 10 Questions to Ask a Past Landlord When Screening Applicants

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    How many occupants lived in the unit? 

    Did you refund the entire security deposit?

    How was the cleanliness of their unit? 

    Did you ever serve them a legal notice and for what lease violation? 

    Which kinds of pets did they have? 

    How often was their rent paid late? 

    Did they ever cause any damage?

    How frequently (if ever) did you receive noise / neighbor complaints about them? 

    Did they give you proper notice to vacate? 

    Would you rent to them again?

    If you suspect funny business:

    Do you have any relationship to this tenant other than in a professional capacity?

    Who is the owner of the property?  (looks up via public records ahead of time so you know the answer; this question usually trips up an imposter reference)

    I also inject RE lingo into the conversation if I am dubious as to the authenticity of the person.  I use terms that landlords/PMs should know and see if it gives them any trouble.  It will be surprising to you how easy it is to spot a fraud with just these few tips.  The posers don't expect those kinds of questions, so they are like deer in the headlights.

  • Investor · Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    Great questions!  Wesley, I like your question about who is the owner of the property.  For RE lingo, what are some suggestions you have?  Can you elaborate?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.