Real Estate Agent · Jackson, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
Can anyone share their experiences with rentals outside vs inside city of Jackson single family or multi family? I would love to hear about the best rental property management companies and anything that has worked for deals or financing.
I have a lot of experience in "flipping" around here. As a Realtor in the area now I want to have a better understanding of what investors are seeing running their rentals. I already know all about the Jackson area city certification issues.
I have studied rentals and know some who have land contracts and rentals in Jackson.
Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 76 posts · 44 votes
7y
Aloha @Korey Rowlson! I'm still learning the market here too, but have 8 doors (3 properties) currently. Just picked up 2 of them (duplex) a couple weeks ago, still vacant up on Second st. Probably not the best time to pick up a duplex with the blizzard there, but I'm hoping we can get a tenant in there soon.
I've been using All Pro Property Management on 2 of my properties and the newest one I'm trying out Production Realty PM. I'll hit you up on a message to give you the pros and cons I see so far.
I would say the interesting thing about the City is that the inspections are both a blessing and curse at the same time. Most will say a curse because of the constant reinspections needed and the $$ you need to spend in repairs, which is true, but they should be money put aside anyway. I say this is a blessing since you have some reassurance that the City Certified properties have been inspected by a third party every couple of years. I also like that you can view the inspection lists as public record when you're trying to acquire new properties.
How's the flipping business been going there? Any recommendations on Contractors?
Aloha @Korey Rowlson! I'm still learning the market here too, but have 8 doors (3 properties) currently. Just picked up 2 of them (duplex) a couple weeks ago, still vacant up on Second st. Probably not the best time to pick up a duplex with the blizzard there, but I'm hoping we can get a tenant in there soon.
I've been using All Pro Property Management on 2 of my properties and the newest one I'm trying out Production Realty PM. I'll hit you up on a message to give you the pros and cons I see so far.
I would say the interesting thing about the City is that the inspections are both a blessing and curse at the same time. Most will say a curse because of the constant reinspections needed and the $$ you need to spend in repairs, which is true, but they should be money put aside anyway. I say this is a blessing since you have some reassurance that the City Certified properties have been inspected by a third party every couple of years. I also like that you can view the inspection lists as public record when you're trying to acquire new properties.
How's the flipping business been going there? Any recommendations on Contractors?
Thanks!
Which property management company did you end up having a better experience with?
Real Estate Agent · Jackson, MI · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
7y
Congrats on picking up more doors. Last we spoke you had the one property and were looking into doing more. Don't worry about picking them up right now. It is not that bad to us, really just 3 or so inches of snow. I was moving couches for staging in it yesterday.
I have seen a lot of the signs up for All Pro and am glad you have tried them and also a competitor that I have not seen signs for. It is a good and positive perspective that you mention around the inspections, as most just complain about the inconsistencies from one inspector to the next and the inspection fees that come when they send a person out. I like the feedback and am sure many investors who are looking to be in the business around here will appreciate the information.