Is this a normal for a 4-plex in B/B- neighborhood?

Is this a normal for a 4-plex in B/B- neighborhood?

Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 4 votes

Hey all, I wanted to see if anyone can help me determine whether this is normal for a 4-unit in a B/B- neighborhood. Things have been MUCH better in 2018 than in 2017. The rent has been getting collected with no major issues. Here are the problems so far that I've faced this year.

1) February 2018, a tenant wanted to move out early (after 6 months) due to "personal reasons". She moved out with no major issues, and we kept her deposit. 

2) October 2018, one other tenant got a dog saying it was a therapy dog. We normally don't allow pets, but he provided sufficient documentation that it was a service animal, so he was allowed to keep it. This went on for a few months, but around September, the downstairs neighbor was complaining that the dog was being too loud. He was notified, but he took no major action. He had one month left in his lease and was not allowed to renew. He didn't pay the last month of rent, and we evicted him. 
3) November 2018, another tenant is now complaining that his downstairs neighbor is harassing them for being too loud. He states that she is getting confrontational and hitting her ceiling with a pole when she hears noise from their apartment. She is also threatening to lock their access to the basement if they don't stop - not sure how she can do this. She has called the police on him. The police came by, and didn't find anything of major concern, apologized to the tenant and left. This tenant appears to be pretty shaken up by her actions. This issues is ongoing, and my manager should be dealing with it soon.

This property is professionally managed, and I frequently communicate with my property manager. My question to all the experienced investors is, is this normal? If I should expect this sort of thing, I should probably learn to accept that this is how it's going to be. However, the uncertainty in what lies ahead in this type of situation is what really stresses me out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Satya

0Reply
18 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2017 · 238 posts · 200 votes
    7y

    Hi @Satya Nagarajan, I cannot tell you what is normal but I can share my experience with you. 

    I purchased a 3 family home July 2017 where I currently reside. I inherited two tenants (both were on month-to-month leases). One of the tenants was evicted immediately for not complying with the new lease I presented to them - the other tenant still lives onsite. 

    After renovating the apartment where the evicted tenant lived, I found new tenants to occupy it. Finding these tenants took time and actually required me to turn down other applicants (not meeting criteria). Currently all residents pay on time and appreciate the living situation. We all live peacefully together.

    The reason I share this is because upfront screening and explaining the expectations and house rules is very important. Also, there is no reason for people to be living in tension.

    Mike

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Michael Craig, we were pretty thorough with the up front screening, expectations, etc. They have both lived there for several months with no issues. This has only become a problem recently.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saratoga Springs, NY · Member since 2017 · 238 posts · 200 votes
    7y

    Dear @Satya Nagarajan, thank you for sharing. Issues will pop-up in life and in real estate. Listen to BP podcast ep. 108.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.