Recommendations Ohio Landlord Insurance - Liberty Mutual opinion

Recommendations Ohio Landlord Insurance - Liberty Mutual opinion

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for landlord insurance companies or agents in Ohio. I have a SFR between Dayton and Cincinnati that I bought I 2016. It has been insured on a larger commercial policy through the property manager at a large discount - but that discount seems to have evaporated so looking for a new policy.

I called a few places, Liberty Mutual seems to be significantly cheaper - but claim that they are using a H03 rather than DP3 policy for landlords with SFR. Anyone have any experience with Liberty Mutual?

1Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
7y

I haven't used Liberty Mutual for landlord insurance, just my own home and auto. I suggest you check with Shelter Insurance. I have found them to have the best rates in the area for SFR.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    7y

    I haven't used Liberty Mutual for landlord insurance, just my own home and auto. I suggest you check with Shelter Insurance. I have found them to have the best rates in the area for SFR.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks Larry F. I'll give Shelter a call.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lisa Priestley:

    Liberty Mutual seems to be significantly cheaper - but claim that they are using a H03 rather than DP3 policy for landlords with SFR. Anyone have any experience with Liberty Mutual?

     Good luck with that when a claim comes in. 

  • Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    @Lisa Rains maybe you can assist.

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lisa Priestley:

    Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for landlord insurance companies or agents in Ohio. I have a SFR between Dayton and Cincinnati that I bought I 2016. It has been insured on a larger commercial policy through the property manager at a large discount - but that discount seems to have evaporated so looking for a new policy.

    I called a few places, Liberty Mutual seems to be significantly cheaper - but claim that they are using a H03 rather than DP3 policy for landlords with SFR. Anyone have any experience with Liberty Mutual?

     Lisa, I would not recommend insuring your rental on a HO3.  HO stands of "Home Owner".  If your not living there, your giving them the opportunity to deny claims.

    There are plenty of insurance carriers willing to insure it properly for a fair rate.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 538 posts · 432 votes
    7y

    @Lisa Priestley Call Thomas & Grushon Insurance . We have properties all over Dayton and Cincy and use them. They may be able to help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Bryan Blankenship thanks I'll give them a call

    @Jason Bott that's what I thought too re the HO3. I specifically asked the agent at Liberty Mutual about that and he assured me it was how they write them when its a SFR rental and only a couple of investments by owner. Made me nervous though.

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Anyone have any good suggestions for small multifamily landlord insurance?

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Hagedorn:

    Anyone have any good suggestions for small multifamily landlord insurance?

     Jonathan, the best options depend on the # of units, age and what types of coverage you want.   If you can answer those questions I can send you the best insurance carriers for rentals in OH.

  • High Desert, CA · Member since 2019 · 319 posts · 161 votes
    6y

    Any of you had luck finding the best SFH landlord insurance?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.