How do you start in real estate as a 24 year old?

How do you start in real estate as a 24 year old?

Real Estate Agent · New York City, NY · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
I am 24 and I would love to enter the real estate world. I really do not know how to start. I am currently unemployed but will start to work soon in order to save up for a real estate investment. I would love to have real estate and use these properties to gain rental income. How do I start or what should be the ideal type of property I should buy starting off from scratch?
0Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y
@Kevin Giraldo Do research . Get a high paying job and learn to save anything you can
See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Giraldo:
    I am 24 and I would love to enter the real estate world. I really do not know how to start.

    A:  Learn what to do before you do it. Learn to answer your own questions.

    I am currently unemployed but will start to work soon in order to save up for a real estate investment. I would love to have real estate and use these properties to gain rental income. How do I start or what should be the ideal type of property I should buy starting off from scratch?

    A:  None.  See previous answer. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y
    @Kevin Giraldo Do research . Get a high paying job and learn to save anything you can
  • Specialist · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2017 · 133 posts · 86 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Giraldo:
    I am 24 and I would love to enter the real estate world. I really do not know how to start. I am currently unemployed but will start to work soon in order to save up for a real estate investment. I would love to have real estate and use these properties to gain rental income. How do I start or what should be the ideal type of property I should buy starting off from scratch?

    If you aren't employed and don't have savings, you will have to get very creative to get started in real estate right now. Do your family or friends trust you enough to loan you money or partner with you? If not, rather than focusing on what property you should buy two or three years from now (the answer might change if the market does), you should focus on what you need to do today to position yourself later.

    You can start learning as much as you can and going to local meetups to network. If you build up your network now, when you have the ability to purchase a property, you will have people you know to help you.

    One of the biggest things you can do now is make money. You need two years of tax returns for conventional financing. If you want to try to flip a property you will need at least 10% down, fees and rehab. You can try to wholesale, which is mostly paying for marketing to find deals. You can see most investments require some money to start. I recommend getting some W-2 paying job but also working on a side hustle if you are really serious about getting started in real estate.

    If you don't have a degree in some STEM related field, it will be harder to earn a higher starting salary without putting in years to work your way up. That's why it's important to have a side hustle. I have an engineering degree, but it was my side hustle that propelled me to FI within a few short years.

    Good luck and if you have any questions you can always PM me.

  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matthew G.:
    Originally posted by @Kevin Giraldo:
    I am 24 and I would love to enter the real estate world. I really do not know how to start. I am currently unemployed but will start to work soon in order to save up for a real estate investment. I would love to have real estate and use these properties to gain rental income. How do I start or what should be the ideal type of property I should buy starting off from scratch?

    If you aren't employed and don't have savings, you will have to get very creative to get started in real estate right now. Do your family or friends trust you enough to loan you money or partner with you? If not, rather than focusing on what property you should buy two or three years from now (the answer might change if the market does), you should focus on what you need to do today to position yourself later.

    You can start learning as much as you can and going to local meetups to network. If you build up your network now, when you have the ability to purchase a property, you will have people you know to help you.

    One of the biggest things you can do now is make money. You need two years of tax returns for conventional financing. If you want to try to flip a property you will need at least 10% down, fees and rehab. You can try to wholesale, which is mostly paying for marketing to find deals. You can see most investments require some money to start. I recommend getting some W-2 paying job but also working on a side hustle if you are really serious about getting started in real estate.

    If you don't have a degree in some STEM related field, it will be harder to earn a higher starting salary without putting in years to work your way up. That's why it's important to have a side hustle. I have an engineering degree, but it was my side hustle that propelled me to FI within a few short years.

    Good luck and if you have any questions you can always PM me.

    All great advice!  

    Keep in mind that to invest, you need something to invest, be it money, or time, or even knowledge.  You only have one of those right now, so you need to find people that want unskilled time, while building your supply of the other two.  Networking is how to do that -- on here and in real life.  Also make sure that you vibrate with your goals -- you will then talk to everybody about them and find help in seemingly unlikely places.

    I'm not sure what your education is, or what you are going to be doing for work -- If you are not currently on a career path with high earning potential, I can recommend looking into a sales job with actual unlimited earning potential.  Those will tend to be only commission, meaning you only eat what you catch.  I got into selling Real Estate to get into the market, educate myself while helping others, and to grow my business.

    And remember, we tend to over-estimate what we can do in a year, and under-estimate what we can do in five.  If you can keep at a goal for five years, you almost assuredly will achieve it, and much more!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.