1 Bedroom w/ Spare Room Vs. 1 Bed w/ Laundry Room?

1 Bedroom w/ Spare Room Vs. 1 Bed w/ Laundry Room?

Jackson, NJ · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hello BiggerPockets people,

Closed on my first two-family last month, and want to install washers and dryers in each unit. Both units are fairly small single bedrooms. I am limited to where I can put these obviously, and initially decided on putting the upstairs units in the kitchen. Upon further investigation and additional measurements, I am thinking about the possibility of putting them in the "spare room" on the other side of the bathroom. Everything I've read and/or researched points me away from this conversion, but I do not think I can legally make it an additional bedroom due to the size and set up. 

Ultimately my question for you is what is more appealing/beneficial to the value of my rental? -

Would it be easier to rent a 1 bedroom apartment with a laundry room so I don't have to sacrifice kitchen space? 

Or will the "spare room" be more appealing despite the cramped and closed off kitchen?

Any and every opinion is appreciated. Thanks!

0Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houlton, ME · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Jim Murphy. My opinion, for what it matters, is laundry in spare room. My tenants love have their own laundry and having it separate from the food prep area would be nice too. Good luck to you!

  • Jackson, NJ · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    @John Harvell I was thinking the spare room would attract roommates my tenants "forget" to mention anyway. Thanks for your two cents! I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get a few more people to chime in before I make my final decision.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.