cheap wood floors or cheap carpet? Rental,

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2009 · 168 posts · 112 votes
15y

Lumber Liquidators' vinyl resilient flooring is awesome. Easy to lay down -- peel and stick (with a little bit of polyurethane glue on the corners). It looks like real hard wood but durability of concrete and the price any landlord would love (0.69/foot today).

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · NY · Member since 2008 · 313 posts · 87 votes
    15y

    I prefer wood floors as they don't easily get stained. I usually have really old wood floors in my houses though and the older they are the better they hold up. I dont know how well a cheap wood floor or laminate would hold up. Since it is a small house maybe you can get away with stick on type tiles or something? Really depends on what kind of renters you rent to. I have one house that is all stick on tiles and it does not look to bad. (low income place)

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    15y

    I don't do carpet in rentals. However, some markets will make you go with carpet or you won't rent it out. Like Michael, my low end rentals use vinyl stick on squares.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2011 · 271 posts · 106 votes
    15y

    We have a rental that's wall to wall tile everywhere. It does hurt renting it a tad but at the end of the day haven't had a flooring issue in 5 years and tenants like the ease of maintenance.

  • Real Estate Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2011 · 422 posts · 149 votes
    15y

    I'm in the same boat you are in. Since I plan on holding this property for a long time I'm considering installing the Waterproof Laminate. It may be one of the best long term choices.
    I found it here for 2.50 Sqft w/ free pad & shipping
    https://www.floorstoyourhome.com/discount-laminate-flooring-sale/waterproof.html

  • Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2009 · 168 posts · 112 votes
    15y

    Lumber Liquidators' vinyl resilient flooring is awesome. Easy to lay down -- peel and stick (with a little bit of polyurethane glue on the corners). It looks like real hard wood but durability of concrete and the price any landlord would love (0.69/foot today).

  • Real Estate Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2011 · 422 posts · 149 votes
    15y

    .69 is pretty hard to beat... what happens if water gets under it? Does it just lift like typical stick downs?

  • Real Estate Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2011 · 422 posts · 149 votes
    15y

    why the poly glue at the corners?

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    15y

    If the rental is really low income, I would do vinyl. The higher the target income, the better the flooring would be.

  • Member since 2011 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am going with the CHEAP laminate @ home depot 68 cents a sq ft, padding is 25 cents a sq ft, since the areas I am doing is approx 500 sq ft (living room and 2 bedrooms) then tile in the kitchen and bathroom. About $200 cheaper then the cheapest carpet, should be fun. I have seen the laminate planks that stick togther, those look good @ home depot, easy enough but almost too much of a vinyl look for what I need, but probably good in other situations, Thanks again...Rick

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.