Remote handyman access

Remote handyman access

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 14 votes

I am taking over managing my duplex going into 2019. Unfortunately, it is on the opposite side of town for me. I’d like to set the property up to be as remotely manageable as possible. What are solutions used to grant access to handyman/macitence workers?

I’ve heard mixed reviews on lock boxes but would love to get some options for the days that are difficult to get there.

Thank you,

0Reply
43 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    It depends on what type of property and where they will be accessing. To enter a tenants unit you or the tenant must be present to let them in and to supervise.

  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 303 posts · 240 votes
    7y

    I would go to a real estate investment meeting/club. I would ask other landlords with multiple units who they use to do the repairs. I would also screen them just like you would a tenant. I do like having lockbox is on the side of everyone of my houses with the key so I don’t have to remember where the keys are and which one it is.

  • Kansas City MO · Member since 2014 · 357 posts · 349 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed If it was myself I would arrange the handyman or maintenance workers at a time when the tenant will be home to let them in. I let my PM's handymen/trades fix stuff in tenant's homes unsupervised ....cause my PM has insurance on them but anyone I hire directly I'm always there with them. Has nothing to do with trusting the workers ...just liability issues. I've seen too many bat crazies  and what are you going to do when the tenant says your handyman stole their diamond necklace off the nightstand or someone takes a rock and cracks open the lockbox and breaks into their house and the tenant holds you liable. I had an issue with a tenant at a duplex where I was rehabbing one half of it while the downstairs tenant was still living there. They accused the contractors of stealing their bike they said was worth 1K. I'm sure they didn't steal it and I know it wasn't worth 1K cause it was a piece of crap but you get the idea. 

    If you really need a way for someone to get in for emergencies if your tenant isn't home I would do one of those combo locks on the front door where you can get in either using a key or a code. Some electronic locks will give out codes that are only good for one use

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I use a lockbox when the property is vacant so any trades people can get in. 

    When rented I coordinate so that the tenant is home to let them in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix AZ / Kendallville, IN · Member since 2016 · 293 posts · 149 votes
    7y

    Another option might be https://simplisafe.com

    It is a home security system which has a keypad and you can setup who goes in or out. This would only work if no tenant is living there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.