Real Estate Investor · Lima, OH · Member since 2011 · 26 posts · 1 vote
After looking through several topics, I'm not sure I was able to answer my question. I'm in the process of serving a pay or quit notice today. My understanding is that in Ohio, there is certain language that must be present. I was wondering if anyone had a sample of a 3-day pay or quit notice they would be willing to share.
Also, what is your process for serving it? I know many of your are very strict on serving it the day payment is late. Do you post it on their front door, mail it so you have a record, both?
Just a few questions to help me get by and any help would be greatly appreciated.
SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Todd Bullinger:
Also, what is your process for serving it? I know many of your are very strict on serving it the day payment is late. Do you post it on their front door, mail it so you have a record, both?
Not sure about Ohio, but in California, we "mail and nail" it. That is, send one copy via First Class mail and post another copy in a prominent location of the rented premises, usually the front door.
Real Estate Consultant · Lansing, MI · Member since 2011 · 1 post · 0 votes
15y
It has been my experience to serve notice on a tenant if they promise to pay or move. Then if they dont do what they promised to do then you already have a backup plan. Usually the tenant will abide by their agreement if they know you are serious about evicting them.
If you do nothing then you run the risk of the tenant staying in the unit longer without paying anything.
The notices can be obtained at the court office for a nominal fee or you can order them online from a reputable source. They will have the appropriate language in them. In Michigan we have the option of serving the notice personally or using frist class mail. However if you use first class mail remember to add another day on before you can file for a court date.
Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
15y
I couldn't find it in the Ohio statues but this link has all
the info you should need for the 3 day notice.
http://www.rentlaw.com/eviction/oheviction.htm
Real Estate Investor · Lima, OH · Member since 2011 · 26 posts · 1 vote
15y
Thanks for all the replies and help. I had a notice prepared and ready to post on the first business day after the grace period ended and he stopped to pay his rent...including his late fee with no questions asked. Disaster avoided for the time being. Hopefully no more close calls.