Carpet and Color for San Francisco Higher End Rentail

Carpet and Color for San Francisco Higher End Rentail

Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote

I'm renting out my 2 bedroom condo in a nice part of San Francisco.  It's going to be a mid-to higher end rental (for san francisco).  I'm going to be picky about my tenants, so want to get a carpet that does not look cheap, but does not cost me the earth, and is relatively durable. 

I have had a quote for a nylon plush carpet (light brown) for $22 per square yard (including installation and 6lb pad) - I have no idea if this is a good deal.

 I am a newbie to this, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance

1Reply
29 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2013 · 125 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    get 3 quotes!!  i would agree with the nylon for good wearing and a nicer rental.  we always recommend the 6# (bedrooms) or higher (stairs, halls, rec rooms) for residential use.  carpet is always great for noise between apartments, too.  another option might be a less expensive carpet & pad (which you would replace every so often) along with some nice large wool rugs (more expensive but wear very well, and don't fade in sunlight) which would be dry-cleaned if needed.  https://www.momeni.com/

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I’d skip carpets. They stain and wear out quickly, and can’t always be professionally cleaned. I’d do LVP, luxury vinyl planks. Cheap, easy to install, and looks pretty close to real hardwood floors. Plus nearly indestructible! Visit East Star in SF, they have nice ones for $2 PSF. San Francisco tenants love hardwood floors. Carpets, not so much.  my2cents.

    Let us know what you ended up doing. 

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks so much for the feedback.  I actually have hardwood floors in the living areas.  The carpets would be for the bedroom.  I just went to a carpet store and they were trying to push wool berber.  It looks nice, but I am not sure it is great for a rental.  Any ideas?

    I was looking at some synthetic samples, and they just looked cheap.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    There is no concern for noise below - there is no one below.

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    7y
    @Alexandra W. Have you considered a multi colored freize or clipped berber? With threads of beige, brown and black or beige gray black and cream? The variation disguises dirt and goes with everything, an oatmeal look.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I’d still do a hard surface in BR. Why deal with cleaning/replacing carpeting? It’s not your own home, where you can control proper maintenance!

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks Amit - could you recommend a good flooring company?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    See my first post

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks Amit

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.