Extenuating circumstance to rent out owner occupied property?

Extenuating circumstance to rent out owner occupied property?

Rahway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 6 votes

I have a condo that I purchased in November. I used a 3% conventional loan. The problem now is that I work in construction and am currently working in Northern NJ. The commute home is 90+ minutes and is becoming a hassle.

Is this an extenuating circumstance to rent out my condo so I can move back closer to work? If so do I need to call my lender and get approval?

0Reply
40 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    You would need to discuss this with your lender. I don't think there is a generally accepted list of exceptions anywhere.

  • Rahway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Boettcher got it thanks

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 247 posts · 123 votes
    7y

    @Josh Thompson does your HOA allow people to rent their condo? And i agree with @Andrew B., i would consult with your lender.

  • Rahway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Ronny Tiburcio yes it does. 6 month minimum lease

  • Rahway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Boettcher my lender won’t be suspicious that I’m trying to break the contract just by asking right? I don’t want them to call my loan due if I ask about my situation.

  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josh Thompson:

    @Andrew Boettcher my lender won’t be suspicious that I’m trying to break the contract just by asking right? I don’t want them to call my loan due if I ask about my situation.

     they cant call it due just because they are suspicious. as long as you are still living there, there should be no fear. unless of course, you already moved and this is not a "thought experiment" anymore. 

  • Rahway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Andrew Boettcher no I have not moved out. I’ve just heard of people being denied mortgages because of being suspected of fraud

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.