Snow Removal...How do you provide it and keep tenants happy?

Snow Removal...How do you provide it and keep tenants happy?

Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hey guys,

So mother winter has been a royal ....... witch this year.  If we aren't getting feet of snow, then we're getting -20 weather and/or freezing rain.    We provide snow removal for a majority of our properties.  We try to set the expectations on move in.  Our plow guy will be there very early, around 3-6 a.m and will move all of the heavy snow out of the way, as well as snow blowing sidewalks.  After the 1st plow, they will only be back if we get another 6" of accumulation.  The tenant is responsible for keeping their porches/stairs clean, and any misc snow that gets shuffled around as people start moving their cars in the morning.

In previous years, this worked just fine, but I also had significantly less properties.  However, this year has been hell.   I think most of the blame is on the insane amounts of snowfall, but I also think I hired a plow guy who couldn't handle the amount of properties I put on his table. I made it a point to find someone who had multiple trucks, tractors, employees, but it didn't seem to matter.  I'd always get calls from people who'd get stuck at the mouth of their driveway, because the street plows would push giant pounds there from the road.  The plow guy wouldn't come back unless there was a new snowfall or unless I called and passed on the complaints.  

This is just one of many different complains tenants had this year.  So now I'm trying to devise a new game plan for next year. 

How does everyone else handle snow removal for their portfolios?  How often do you plow?  What do you plow?  What do you expect your tenants to do themselves?  How do you keep people happy when they work at different times?  How do you tell a disabled tenant that they're responsible for doing minor shoveling?

I'm considering buying a couple trucks and having our guys handle it, with a focus on only our properties.  This method will probably cost us more money in the long run, but we will have direct control over the quality of work.  My #1 priority is to provide A+ customer service.  I wasn't able to achieve these with the plow guy we had this year, and I fear I'll never be able to do it unless I staff the men myself and oversee it.  

Any tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated.   Thank you!

1Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

@Michael Ablan

Have them sign a lease that specifically states they are responsible for any snow removal then if I’m feeling generous I’ll even get them a 7$ snow shovel at Walmart if they go on sale

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael Ablan

    Have them sign a lease that specifically states they are responsible for any snow removal then if I’m feeling generous I’ll even get them a 7$ snow shovel at Walmart if they go on sale

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis M. Are these multi-family or SFH? I have my SFH, 2 family and 3 family tenants do their own, but I do everything 4+

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Michael Ablan

    Multi family . These are adults ..I’m not wiping their a$& or shoveling their snow

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    I have a very reliable plow guy and am very happy with his service. He plows and sands when he plows and sands. When tenants call complaining about the roads I tell them I will call my guy and let him know...… I never call my guy since I trust his work and know he will get it done.

    Tenants are expected to do what is necessary to get out and must realise that conditions are what they are and it will get done. A little snow and inconvenience is not the end of the world. 

    I don't provide A+ service because I don't want to create whining, complaining overly entitle tenants that call me every time a flake hits the ground. In the real world people make due.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Dennis M.  Is that normal for your area?  It's definitely not in mine, nor do I see how it could work.  One property has 5k sqft of parking area with 8 units and approx 12 cars.  I couldn't imagine telling them all that they're responsible for moving 2-6 feet of snow across this large parking lot.  But if you're saying it's possible and that you do it, then I'm open ears.  Please tell how you pass this responsibility on without losing tenants or causing disputes.

    @Thomas S. -  It sounds like my concern over the quality of my plow guy is pretty legitimate then.  Does he run multiple trucks and have employees?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Obviously a complex with a full size parking area is different . Yeah your going to have to find a local pol guy no way around that in your case

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    "It sounds like my concern over the quality of my plow guy is pretty legitimate then."

    The point I was making is the exact opposite. Your tenants are a bunch of whiners and you should be telling them so. A little bit of snow and the city plowing across the laneway is your tenants problem.  You can not expect your contractors to sit at the property and baby sit your tenants.

    The only thing I might suggest is that you have them plow after a 4" snow fall or after 4" when a storms expected to drop a very large amount of snow. Tell your plow guy to not plow the laneway until after the streets are plowed. If the streets are not yet plowed your tenants are on their own. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.