Rental Property Investor · HOUSTON, TX - Texas · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 19 votes
I recently hired a realtor here in Texas to fill a vacancy.She presented a couple as candidates and they later became tenants.The problem is I never received background check report on one of the tenants and had remembered asking the realtor at least twice for the report but she never produced it.
My question is that are realtors required to provide background check of potential tenants that they are presenting to landlords?
Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
7y
@Ayo O. I just reviewed the TAR Residential Lease Listing And Property Management Agreement (TAR 2201) and do not find any requirement that agent provide a copy of "Background Check Report".
There is no such report as "Background Check Report" that I'm aware of. I would presume the Agent reviewed the results of the background checks with you to get approval for the tenants, unless you have given them authority to make those decisions. If physically seeing and having a copy of the Tenant Credit reports and other Inquiry data is something you must have suggest you include in the Lease Listing Agreement.
It depends on what you agreed to in advance of hiring her. She could simply claim that the tenants did not authorise her providing the information to you.
Rental Property Investor · HOUSTON, TX - Texas · Member since 2017 · 93 posts · 19 votes
7y
@Thomas S. thanks.If I read this right,there are not standard duties that realtors are expected to perform when listing a house for rent.There roles and duties will depend on the agreement made with such a realtor?
Residential Real Estate Broker · College Station, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 969 votes
7y
@Ayo O. I just reviewed the TAR Residential Lease Listing And Property Management Agreement (TAR 2201) and do not find any requirement that agent provide a copy of "Background Check Report".
There is no such report as "Background Check Report" that I'm aware of. I would presume the Agent reviewed the results of the background checks with you to get approval for the tenants, unless you have given them authority to make those decisions. If physically seeing and having a copy of the Tenant Credit reports and other Inquiry data is something you must have suggest you include in the Lease Listing Agreement.