Do I need to give tenant a discount on rent?

Do I need to give tenant a discount on rent?

Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote

My rental is in Los Angeles. I have a problem tenant and need to change out/ fix things in his bathroom for about 6 hours (paint to dry). It will not affect the toilet and shower. He is requesting that I give him credit from rent. Do I have to oblige? Does any law require that I have to do this? Thank you

0Reply
11 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 25 votes
7y

I’m no expert but I wouldn’t give him anything. You are making the property better for his use. I would consider it part of being a renter. 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    I’m no expert but I wouldn’t give him anything. You are making the property better for his use. I would consider it part of being a renter. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    I would say no .

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @tu 

    @Tu Anh Nguyen

    Unless there is some state or local law you are making an improvement to the property.  I am assuming this is being done at the tenants request.  You are responding to the issue, no discount.

    Good Luck.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    If it was days of not being able to use the bathroom, it might be a different story. But a few hours, nope! Thank him for being cooperative and let him know that as the landlord you need to make sure the property is kept up to date with everything working.

    I cant imagine any judge having a problem with 6 hours of work in the house!

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    So the guy is lucky enough to have a landlord who fixes things and makes certain the rental is nice AND he wants a rent credit? 

    No. 

    I would only ever offer a rent credit if I dropped the ball or if I felt the tenant was being majorly inconvenienced (and him being careful he doesn't get wet paint on himself for a few hours is not a major inconvenience).

  • Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 16 votes
    7y

    I'd say no. You are already spending money to improve something. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    For a few hours, no.  He can presumably use the toilet during that time.  (said jokingly You could buy him tickets to a double feature at the local movie theatre, so he's out of the unit while the work is done!)

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    @Tu Anh Nguyen I wouldn't even consider it. You are being a good landlord by making an improvement to the property. I think it is pretty petty that the tenant is even asking.

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Tu Anh Nguyen No rent credit would be required in California based on what you described. 

  • Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you all for your reply and suggestions. I wish I had found this site sooner and not have to bend backwards because I don't know the rules/ laws. Much appreciated everyone

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 325 posts · 253 votes
    7y

    Don't train your tenants to get credits from you and don't let them manipulate you into something. The day your bank gives you credit on your mortgage, you can give your tenant a credit for rent. If the house is inhabitable due to water damage or fire and they had to find alternate place to live on their own then yes, you offer credit but then if you place them in hotel then No credit. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    Absolutely not. Tell him that part of living in a house or apartment is maintenance. Remind him who owns the place. You can fix whatever you want and he should be glad that you are taking care of the building.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    Um ... no

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.