What are your REAL avg capex and maintenance numbers?

What are your REAL avg capex and maintenance numbers?

Rental Property Investor · Chicago and mainly invests in KS remotely · Member since 2018 · 360 posts · 314 votes

How do your capex and maintenance numbers on long term hold rentals compare to your assumptions? Looking to get some clarity on this matter -- a lot of people on BP suggests a percentage method, which I think can be a miscalculation for cheaper and older SFHs because a lot of capex is fixed, but rental income, size of house, vintage of house, type of neighorhood factors into the calculation. That aside, I hope to take an average of other BPer's and compare it to my assumptions to see how much I'm overcharging/undercharging myself. Give me your best inflation adjusted number if possible.

But in general, here are my assumptions when I look for properties:

SFH

capex: 2250

maintenance: 500

total: 2750

Duplex

capex: 3100

maintenance: 900

total: 4000

Triplex

capex: 3900

maintenance: 1300

total: 5200

Fourplex

capex: 4800

maintenance: 1600

total: 6400

0Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Allen L. I am finding that on my buy and holds that I manage, the maintenance costs have been less than the 5% that most BP folks use. In fact, I am finding my costs to be around $30-35 per month per unit on my most stable property. This all goes back to the tenants you have in place though. 

    CapEx is a different story. I no longer think of CapEx as simply a fixed monthly percentage. Most of the buildings I have been buying are distressed, so I consider CapEx to be an up front cost. In addition, there is a monthly CapEx reserves budget I set after the property is stable. The funny thing is, these reserves can be fairly low because I have fixed everything by the time the property is stable!

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @John Warren

    I am with John on this.  Maintenance is low for me and I rehab everything upfront.  Its all built in.  I own SFRs.  I prefer doing it this way.  All the work up front and fewer issues during rental periods. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.