Someone told me cops were outside my rental property.

Someone told me cops were outside my rental property.

Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 57 votes

A friend told me there were two cop cars outside my property that I rent to four college students. Is this my business? Can I reach out to the renter to find out why?

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

@Patricia Berman I would call the police and find out what's up. A couple years ago, I had a tenant die (OD) in a unit and I later found out the police had been there two weeks earlier and revived him with narcan. Had I known this, I would have called his parents (emergency contact) and then evicted him... 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    7y

    You can always ask the tenants if they are ok and see what story you get. But it's not really your business if someone is arrested as long as they pay the rent.

  • Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    @Ray Harrell thanks!

  • Investor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 219 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Patricia Berman

    You can call the local police station. Most calls are public records. You can also request an incident report, if one was written using the FOIA form. Charges may apply.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Patricia Berman I would call the police and find out what's up. A couple years ago, I had a tenant die (OD) in a unit and I later found out the police had been there two weeks earlier and revived him with narcan. Had I known this, I would have called his parents (emergency contact) and then evicted him... 

  • Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    @Ravi P. Thank you Ravi. I called but I have to put in a formal request via their form. I've already got the form and will submit it. I'm hoping that works.

  • Investor · Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 56 posts · 57 votes
    7y

    @Jill F. Wow Jill. That is crazy. I'm trying to go through the proper channels to get the report. These are college kids so I do worry.

    Thank you for your advice.

  • Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Contact the police department where the property is located and they should be able to provide you with the event or incident details or at least what type of call it was.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.