Is this a good deal? Looking for guidance on forecasting expenses

Is this a good deal? Looking for guidance on forecasting expenses

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

Hey all,

I'm definitely in the new camp. I would like to house hack, I found a duplex that's a 1/1 for the first unit, and a 3/1 for the second (room/bathroom.) Below are the number's I've come up with. Honestly I'm not sure how to evaluate operating expenses without a %. I have never purchased a home so I'm not sure how much some of these things would cost. Things that I've added in the 56%~ include: Cap expenses, property management, garbage, water. Is 56 too high? 

Could the numbers work on this unit? I've added the address below, maybe someone can shed some light on what I'm missing, and what I can learn from this. Thank you for taking a look

Purchase Price: $ 230,000

Amount Financed:- $ 184,000 80% LTV

Down Payment:= $ 46,000

Purchase Costs: + $ 6,900

Rehab Costs: + $ 5,000

Total Cash Needed: = $ 57,900

Gross Rent: $ 2,200

Vacancy: - $ 220 10% of Rent

Operating Income: = $ 1,980

Operating Expenses: - $ 1,100 55.6% of Income

Net Operating Income: = $ 880 $ 440 Per Unit

Loan Payments:- $ 988

Cash Flow: = -$ 108 -$ 54 Per Unit

Post-Tax Cash Flow: -$ 108 -$ 54 Per Unit

6330 28th St N, Saint Petersburg, FL 33702

Really thank you for your time, and helping me make an entrance in this world! 

0Reply
11 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Zach KiddPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Dylan Baxter you hit my keyword of my city!

    Short version, because I'm on mobile at the moment...

    Because this is four units or less, the loan is the same as a single family home. And you are going house hack, as in owner occupied.

    You can get financing with way less down payment. You should speak to a mortgage broker (not a bank) about that first, so you can establish a baseline for your numbers. For example, if you are a veteran, you could use a VA Loan and put $0 down.

    If you don't already have those numbers in a spreadsheet (or calculator/app), do it. Then run the numbers on 5, 3.5, even 1 percent down and see how that affects your cash flows.

    If you need a mortgage broker, I have several that I recommend. If you want to grab coffee and explore more scenarios and options, feel free to PM me.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.