LVP or Carpet on 2nd floor unit of quad

LVP or Carpet on 2nd floor unit of quad

Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes

Hello Everyone, 

I can't tell if this is the right location (so if it isn't please give me a link) but here it goes.  I'v been replacing carpet with LVP in a number of my units but have gotten push back from my PM on doing so with my latest turnover.  It's the second floor unit in my quad and she says that it will cause too much of a noise issue and that we should go again with carpet.  Any thoughts?  Is she right or is there a better quality ie more expensive and cushioned version that does the same as carpet?  I've been googling but to no avail.  Thanks for any input and personal experiences with LVP on second floors.

0Reply
4 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I try and eliminate carpet whenever possible but your PM probably has a point about the noise.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 174 posts · 124 votes
    7y

    Unless you have some very good sound dampening qualities between those units, go with carpet.  Your PM is dead on.  If there isn't good sound deadening between the units normal walking will be amplified in the unit below.  Normal walking will be louder.  If the upper level tenant is heavy footed it will sound like a stampede in the unit below.  If there's kids in the upper unit, be prepared for complaints on how they are running around uncontrolled when they're really just running around like normal kids.  

  • Rental Property Investor · FL · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @John Underwood, @PJ M. - thanks for your inputs.  I figured she was probably right but thought I'd see if there were any people who had had good luck with a LPV as sound-helpful as carpet.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.