Rental Property Investor · Cocoa, FL · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 33 votes
Hi!
We just bought a duplex and inherited seemingly high quality tenants. We will be living on the other side and managing ourselves.
I am making NOT becoming my tenants friend a high priority but I can tell they would like to be friends. I don't mind being a friendly neighbor, but I definitely want to keep things professional and not cross any lines.
We are in the middle of renovating our side and our tenants just bought a lawn mower and mowed the whole front yard (which I think is normal)
But now she texted me and asked if we'd mind her mowing our backyard and that it would be a privilege to do something nice for us. I feel like maybe I should say no so that we don't complicate things and leave her thinking she is owed a favor from us.
Am I overthinking this? Should I tell her yes its fine or NO THANKS?
Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
7y
@Lindsey Vargas As others have said, they probably have good intentions but just politely tell them it isn't neccessary. You are right to set expectations for the relationship between you as the landlord and them as the tenant. There is definitely a way to be cordial, but not cross any lines like you mentioned.
Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y
Today it is mow your lawn, tomorrow it is take a trash can in, and next thing you know they are murdering you and your husband and assuming your identities. Just say no to nice people offering favors!!!
I think you are way over-thinking this. Your answer should depend on what are your plans for yard care after you move in. Are you taking care of both sides or just your side? If both sides, I would thank them and accept their offer and let them know that once you are settled, you will be taking care of all the lawn care. If only your side, I would thank them and accept their offer and let them know that once you are settled, you will return the favor. That sets it as a one time thing and not an ongoing favor.
Today it is mow your lawn, tomorrow it is take a trash can in, and next thing you know they are murdering you and your husband and assuming your identities. Just say no to nice people offering favors!!!
I think you are way over-thinking this. Your answer should depend on what are your plans for yard care after you move in. Are you taking care of both sides or just your side? If both sides, I would thank them and accept their offer and let them know that once you are settled, you will be taking care of all the lawn care. If only your side, I would thank them and accept their offer and let them know that once you are settled, you will return the favor. That sets it as a one time thing and not an ongoing favor.
Okay that cracked me up!! And I like your advice. Thank you
It is a slippery slope and the dynamic of living next to your tenants can certainly complicate things. This is why house hacking is effective only for a certain subset of RE investors. I couldn't do it, that's for sure.
Whatever you decide, definitely keep the relationship are arm's length.
Rental Property Investor · NH (new hampshire) · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 22 votes
7y
@Lindsey Spivey
I say let them mow. If they like mowing then let them mow. I got a new mower a couple years ago and i love it. The smell of fresh cut grass is the best smell in the world and a good looking lawn is admired by everybody that drives by. Its a relationship business. This could be the best tenant ever. If he does a great job than even pay him for it. Why not? Hes saving you time and money. Run with it. Believe in the goodness in people.
Rental Property Investor · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2018 · 369 posts · 406 votes
7y
@Lindsey Vargas Take this post as it is...coming from a neurotic psychopath who doesn't trust anyone. I would at first want to yell "Stop that!!!!" out my kitchen window at them because i know they will want something for it...eventually. But thinking from their side if it was me mowing, I would automatically do your side also...because if I stopped at "Our half" I would NEVER be able to get the mowed line straight and it would cause me to lose sleep and get out the plumb bobs and laser sights and do it right. (at 2:17 am)
Now if your yard is 3 acres you're on your own! But a small duplex front & backyard wouldn't even be an issue for me, I'd just put in the extra 15 minutes of my Sunday and hit yours too if I got out there first. You guys weed the beds this week, I'll knock out the grass.
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y
If you are rehabbing your side they may just see you are working hard and want to be helpful. They may just like neater shorter grass. No telling the reason. If it is a one time offer I might say ok and go on to talk about the general yard maintenence arrangement. Lets do xyz regarding the yard. Try to be complimentary on what they have done and lay out what you are respondsible for. Maybe alternate the front mow? Maybe some other split. Maybe they just like to mow and you woek something out. Use it as an opportunity.
Either say no or agree to alternately take turns cutting the entire front and back lawns. This is more complicated since everone has different priorities for cutting schedules.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
7y
@Lindsey Vargas always pay tenants for any work they do. I have had tenants do a "favor" for free, then a year later when I tried to charge them a late fee they said "remember when I did that for you". I don't like owing anyone anything and I pay people for work they do.
Personally, I would ask if they want to mow it all the time in exchange for a break on rent. It helps them out and frees up your time to search for deals.
Rental Property Investor · Port Orchard, WA · Member since 2018 · 116 posts · 123 votes
7y
Hi,
I have something simlar at most of my duplexes. It seems one side is always more inclined to do the yard than the other. At one it is an age difference, one side is a couple in their 70's and the other is a couple in their 30's. The older couple pays the younger $20 a month for the mowing. The duplex I am house hacking I also pay $20 a month to the tenant to mow both sides. When there is a currency exchange, even a small one, it makes it transnational. This helps mitigate the tenant from expecting a free pass on loud noise, late rent or repairs needed because of something they did.
Draper, UT · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
7y
@Lindsey Spivey Great question. I would agree with Dion. In order to avoid the expected “repayment” in the future, you can pay them X number of dollars per month. If you usually mow the lawn yourself, this would cost a bit more money but save you time. If you hire this out to a landscaping company, this would most likely save you money.
Real Estate Investor · Unionville, CT · Member since 2016 · 260 posts · 167 votes
7y
@Lindsey Spivey I feel like many tenants always have an M.O. -Even if it’s nothing they need now, they will pull it out later. Strict boundaries are important for professional tenant and landlord relationship
Rental Property Investor · Cocoa, FL · Member since 2019 · 51 posts · 33 votes
7y
@Joe Splitrock thank you!! That’s what I will do! They just bought a lawn mower and we don’t have one so that would work out really well. Is it okay to pay tenants in cash or does it need to be documented?
@Joe Splitrock thank you!! That’s what I will do! They just bought a lawn mower and we don’t have one so that would work out really well. Is it okay to pay tenants in cash or does it need to be documented?
Technically if the money is for mowing just your personal residence, then it is not deductible. In that case cash or check is fine. If you are paying them for "general mowing" at the rental property, then it could be an expense. Expenses reduce your taxable income or increase your rental loss. In that case you want to pay by check to document the expense. I would have them do "general mowing" myself, but others may not be comfortable claiming it that way.
Rental Property Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 493 posts · 386 votes
7y
@Lindsey Spivey
I agree with the majority it’s better to politely decline and you have the right approach keep it profesional but they do seem like good tenants Many have similar questions concerning snow removal some tenants offer to be responsible but it’s best to say no you need to think about liability. What if tenant gets injured while mowing the lawn can’t go to work and can’t pay the rent it’s a worst case scenario but something to consider..
@Lindsey Spivey I've been a landlady 32 years and live in the ame block as my rentals. Trust your instincts. Do not let them mow your backyard. You can say thanks but you like to mow!