Please: Some advice on my first (potential) rental property

Please: Some advice on my first (potential) rental property

Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I am considering putting an offer in on a piece of property in my town. The assessed value of the property is $130,000, although there are foundation issues with the home and I believe I could pick it up for between $80,000 to $90,000 (contingent upon foundation inspection and repair estimate, of course - a previous quote put the cost of foundation repair at $20,000). After a good analysis of comps in the area, I believe the after repair value of the property is about $150,000 to $160,000 (it's in a great location). The unit is currently rented to long-term tenants at $775 per month. Market rate is probably $850 to $925, although it would require some TLC.

I have secured private financing from family, so I will essentially put nothing down, and just pay interest on the $80,000 to $90,000 at 5%. My plan would be to refinance after 1 year or whenever foundation issues are resolved, hopefully at or below 5%, and pull out some equity.

When I crunch the numbers, I basically break even (i.e., net zero) on Day 1 on the rental income after expenses. Rent is $775, about $375 per month goes to interest payments, and $400 goes to taxes, insurance, vacancy, repairs and property management. So, it doesn't immediately cash flow.

However, my thinking is this:

  • 1) Assuming the foundation is not legally required to be fixed immediately, allow current tenants to remain at current rate until a major expense arises or tenants leave
  • 2) Fix foundation and generally upgrade the house once tenants have left (budgeting $35,000 in my head)
  • 3a) Rent out at competitive market rates to new tenants (should cash flow positive), or
  • 3b) Rent out on Airbnb at competitive market rates (should be more cash flow positive), or
  • 3c) Sell property if market is favorable

So, my question is this: should I pursue this deal or does it just not make sense? Of course I want it to be cash flow positive on Day 1, but $80,000 homes in this location are very difficult to come by. I've also got private financing at a favorable rate. Plus there is upside in the home assuming that the market doesn't completely tank. I would appreciate any thoughts you have! Thanks!

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Robert James Pass. Not even meeting the 1% rule. If market rate is $925 your all in budget is $92500 after repairs. You didn't show what percentage you are using for vacancy repairs and property management. You don't even list CAPEX as a category. If you had owned this as a rental and had a CAPEX built in of 10% of rents @$775. $20000/$75= 266 months to pay for the foundation.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Robert James Pass. Not even meeting the 1% rule. If market rate is $925 your all in budget is $92500 after repairs. You didn't show what percentage you are using for vacancy repairs and property management. You don't even list CAPEX as a category. If you had owned this as a rental and had a CAPEX built in of 10% of rents @$775. $20000/$75= 266 months to pay for the foundation.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Thanks for the reply, Tim. I used 5% of rental income for vacancy and repairs. 10% of rent for property management, and 12.5% for CAPEX. You point is well taken, though, the numbers aren't favorable. I think I am intrigued by the possibility of a home in downtown at that price. Still, the numbers have to pencil out.

  • Contractor · College Station, TX · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    @Robert James

    There is no such thing as a legal requirement to fix a foundation.  At worst you may have a lender that won’t loan against it or difficlty in obtaining insurance.  Neither of those are set in stone and can be worked around.

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Craig Tripp Thanks. The state Landlord and Tenant Act requires me to provide a "fit and habitable" space for tenants. The foundation is damaged and the walls in the basement are bulging out. Is this "fit and habitable"? I'm guessing that's open to interpretation, but surely there's risk of being sued if it's deemed not "fit" (unsafe)?

  • Insurance Agent · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Robert,

    You may have an issue with the Insurance coverage.  If he company inspects and feels the Foundation damage is a structural issue or a safety issue they may require you to fix it or be cancelled.  Discuss the issue with you agent to see how the company will react. 

  • Contractor · College Station, TX · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 49 votes
    7y

    @Robert James

    Very subjective to say the least in regards to “fit and habitable.“ 

    I was looking at it from the perspective of the foundation repairman that I am vs. the landlord.  I don’t get worked up over making perfect a foundation.  If your doors and windows work, you can set things on kitchen counters to cook without it falling off, and don’t feel like you’re walking downhill...then that is functional and should be the goal. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.