How do people live like this?

How do people live like this?

Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 25 votes

So I have been actively looking for good investment properties for the last two months. I went and looked at two yesterday that were still tenant occupied. The standards of living are so crummy at the houses that I wonder how people live like this. I want to get a rental and make it nice. Decent floor. Functioning toilet and shower. No significant holes in the walls. The people living in the current houses that I viewed seemed quite content to live in these "crap holes". It makes me wonder if my standards are too high. I'm not trying to make these places flips or super fancy but I do feel like if I have a decent property that I could find decent tenants. My friend who has a ton of rentals keeps telling me "Even if this house is not a rental, the tenants will turn it into a rental fast." Is it just poor tenant management and selection or is this something y'all see across the board?

2Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
7y

Lol your expectations are too high . Look Anything below b class and most tenants live like animals or worse . Don’t take it personally it’s just how these folks were raised and accustomed to . I was floored how some people live initially but I’ve grown to just accept slob mentality. It’s avtually kinda comical to me now .Most of my tenants just have an old mattress laying on the floor and nothing of real value besides a cheap flatscreen tv and random junk . Most never used cleaning products at all or ever felt the need to pick up their stuff or do dishes . Don’t be offended or over improve your property to make it nice . Collect the rent and keep it safe . Most tenants wont take any care of your added niceties and you’ll be frustrated along with ultimately just losing money . Sad to say ,There’s a reason they rent and don’t own a home . Things you think would get higher rent actually won’t . Focus on getting more bedrooms and more doors , not stuff like granite counters , stainless appliances or fancy tile work 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    So I'm curious a lot of people are saying you dont live here. What if you do. First time investor buying a personal residence  mfh do you upgrade your side? Would you ask for a higher rent than the others when you move out?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    to keep this on topic personally I'm a slop in the minor things. Wash clothes pick up from pile. Come home from work clothes on floor. I do respect the value of something though. I own a woodworking business and have done a few upgrades to the house. Landlord rules are you install it as a permanent structure its mine (insulated and walled the garage) temporary it's yours (huge wall storage, which is too difficult to move he can keep lol)

    Would I be considered a dirty tenant I don't think so.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.