Where online for Los angeles county to see rent control

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 155 votes
7y
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 210 posts · 155 votes
    7y
  • Real Estate Broker · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 655 posts · 293 votes
    7y

    http://zimas.lacity.org/

    as posted above. After typing the address (number and street name) click on the "Housing" tab at the bottom to see the RSO status. If it was built before Oct 1978, bank on it being RSO 

    Also check out

    https://hcidla.lacity.org/What-is-Covered-under-th...

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Be careful, that site is not accurate. I own property that according to that site is under rent control, but it is exempt under Costa-Hawkins. 

    I called and had the city tell me the unit was under rent control. After speaking to my RE Agent who assured me it was not under rent control, I got in touch with someone at the state level. They confirmed the unit was exempt from rent control under the Costa-Hawkins Act. I called the city back and asked again and they still stated it was under rent control. After I told them according to the state it was exempt under Costa-Hawkins, the person replied that "it's still under Los Angeles County rent control, but we just don't enforce it". 

    They don't enforce it because they would be breaking state law by enforcing it! To this day that address still shows as being under rent control on that site!

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Greg M.

    I’d be interested to learn why the property is exempt if you’re willing to share!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    Costa-Hawkins exempts single-family homes and condos from rent control restrictions.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.