Landlord abuse of the security deposit?

Landlord abuse of the security deposit?

WV · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 3 votes

Hi guys,

So, I am a recent tenant that moved out of a Los Angeles, CA unit (2737 Francis Ave) owned by LBJ Realty Holdings, LLC and Hollywood Fountain, LLC and am curious if any tenants/ landlords here can explain this away:

So, being a meticulous and obsessive neat freak, I had documented with photos and videos when I had moved in and out of the unit (all original condition, any damages, etc.). I also read the lease 3 times in full detail.

The lease states that the only cleaning fee would be an $85 charge taken out of my deposit, plus any other painting needs needed (of course, the phrasing was so vague for the latter but I made sure that they were not taking out for "painting" for normal wear-and-tear). I was also only there for 6 months.

When I finally got the deposit that, an extra $40 was taken out for "cleaning" making the total for "cleaning costs" $125. I asked for receipts but so far they have not come forward with them (probably because there may not have been any receipts at all).

Having rented over 5 places in California in my entire life, this is the first time that I did not get my full deposit back to me for a unit that was left in proper and clean condition - supported by my photos and videos, as well as the walk-through inspection where both the property manager and I even confirmed that the condition is good.

So... landlords and/ or current/ past tenants - was I cheated out of my $40 for no reason? This seems unfair that landlords can just take whatever they want from the deposit without justifying it with receipts. LBJ Realty Holdings, LLC and Hollywood Fountain, LLC never produced the receipts to me (the ones they said they had) when I questioned about the additional $40.

Also, to add some context, I am moving back to my home country and I feel like that situation made LBJ Realty Holdings, LLC and Hollywood Fountain, LLC think that they could take advantage of the deposit by absconding with extra cash (thinking that just because I am not in the US any longer, that it won't bother me).

The investing industry is really small - I don't know if they were aware that tenants can also be people of influence, lawyers, doctors, business owners and investors themselves.

0Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed this is truly unfortunate. I think most property owners and land lords fully intend to give the security deposit back if the tenant holds their part of the bargain. Their are most definitely shady investors out there who want to steal some of the normal operating costs from tenants, and it is unfortunate as they give the rest of the community a bad name. 

    I doubt you will have much success going after that money due to the low dollar amount. I think your only possible move would be to have a local attorney send a letter where they threaten the land lord. Otherwise, I doubt it is worth your time to pursue this. 

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    7y

    I'm sorry that happened.  I'll guess they use a cleaning service between tenants, whether an apartment needs to be cleaned or not, and the fee was $125.  Though they should have honored the $85 cleaning fee that was outlined in the lease.  Or, yes, at least provided you with the receipt that the charge was higher than what had been in the lease.

    I don't automatically provide prior tenants with receipts for deductions to their security deposit.  But do have a note in my letter that they are available "upon request".

    With that said, I agree with @John Warren.  If you know someone who is an attorney and they'll write you a "lawyer letter" for free, do it and there is a chance they'll send you the $40 rather than deal with it.  But it's too small an amount to be worth spending much time on or driving yourself crazy with.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.