Odoban/Washing tobacco damaged walls

Odoban/Washing tobacco damaged walls

Durham, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 74 posts 路 38 votes

Hi! Bought a pre-foreclosure where the previous owner smoked inside for a decade 馃ぎ. 

Has anyone used the product OdoBan? 

Is it best to wash the walls with a deodorant/sanitizer prior to sealing them? Or can I skip step 3 because it鈥檚 redundant if I鈥檓 sealing with B-I-N?

Am I missing any steps/how can I remove tobacco damage from hardwood floors?

Steps I鈥檓 taking:

1. Run ozonator at night

2. Keep all windows open when ozonator isn鈥檛 running

3. Mop walls with OdoBan (the deodorizer foam turns brown from the tobacco tar, so nasty)

4. Sheetrock 45/ sandpaper walls

5. Seal walls with B-I-N

I鈥檝e mopped the walls of the main room with OdoBan & will continue to do so, but if this step is redundant I鈥檇 like to skip it because even WITH a respirator my lungs are not happy campers. They鈥檙e definitely getting damaged.

Thank you for your help 馃槉

0Reply
56 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Durham, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 74 posts 路 38 votes
    7y

    P.S: I plan on removing the popcorn ceiling as well which should help remove some of the smell (but I'm working by myself and I'm not as fast as I'd like to be yet). I read even with a shellac sealant sometimes tobacco resurfaces and I should use TSP, but would OdoBan work in place of TSP?

  • Durham, NC 路 Member since 2017 路 74 posts 路 38 votes
    7y

    Got an answer!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.