Unreasonably high water/sewer bill in Taunton Ma?

Unreasonably high water/sewer bill in Taunton Ma?

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Hello everyone, I am new to Biggerpockets and the world of rental properties. I have an accepted offer to purchase a 4 family in Taunton Ma. There are 3 two bedroom units and 1 3 bedroom unit. I was budgeting for 300/ month for water/sewer which I thought was reasonable until I called the water department. The woman I spoke with through the city of Taunton water department, told me that this property was averaging $2400- $3200 per quarter when it was fully occupied in 2017-2018.. This seems unreasonably high to me. I have contemplated the idea that maybe there was a leak and that's why the bills were so high. The inspection is scheduled for this thurs 5/23. When I crunched all the numbers it seemed like a good investment until I put in an average monthly water/sewer bill of 800-1000, which tanked my COC return down to roughly 5%. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments regarding this?

0Reply
42 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 75 votes
    7y

    Sounds like you have a leak or a toilet that won't stop running.  Doesn't matter if the place is fully occupied, tenants will ignore the obvious issue if they aren't the one who has to pay the bill.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    That's what my thoughts were Austin.. I will have the inspector look closely at the plumbing and toilets.. Hopefully we find a simple solution so I can move forward with this deal.. Thank you for your reply.. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.