Charge for paying rent in multiple payments?

Charge for paying rent in multiple payments?

Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 106 votes

The lease states tenant is required to pay rent in one payment. Made one small payment ($400), ignored email stating that partial payments are not allowed per lease and to please cancel the payment (Cozy doesn’t give landlord option to do it on my end), and made remainder of payment ($1350) 2 days later. The processing fee is only an additional $3, however as these tenants have been a royal PITA thus far, and it’s increasingly apparent they will need to be continuously trained, I’d like to charge a fee for them breaking this rule in the lease; however the lease doesn’t state a consequence or fee for paying in multiple payments. TAR Lease, page 2, section 5 D. Would it be reasonable, and allowable, to charge a $50 administration fee to ensure the lesson sticks and remediate my wasted time?

0Reply
94 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
7y

@Alyssa K. I dont care how many payments are made, but if it's not paid in full by the 5th, I charge a $50 late fee.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Rosa that makes sense, thank you.

  • Member since 2018 · 156 posts · 106 votes
    7y

    @Jody Nichols if the lease is written that way I think that’s a great idea! As this one expressly states one payment I want to remain consistent with the lease. Certainly something to consider for the future though, thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.