Lawn maintenance fees on a Rental property ?

Lawn maintenance fees on a Rental property ?

Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes

Hello BP!

I'm in the process of  house hacking  into another  property  and making my current primary home a rental. My agent says my 2200 sq ft home can rent for $21 to $2300 monthly.. 

Now my question  is , should  I let the tent have the option  to upkeep  the lawn or hire a gardener and add extra fees or eat It up from the $2100 or $2300 payment?

0Reply
53 views

Most Popular Reply

Valhalla, NY · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 84 votes
7y

Hey Henry,

Depending on how big the property is and your market you could usually have a lawn cared for for approximately $30-$40 a week or bi-weekly if you want to save some money. Again all markets are different but I charge around $40 for a 10,000 Sq Ft lot in Westchester, NY suburbs. Good luck

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    Hey Henry! Did you double check to make sure the agent is correct on the rental amounts?

    You can write it in the lease it is up to them to maintain the lawn, otherwise, just outsource it to a company

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jake S.:

    Hey Henry! Did you double check to make sure the agent is correct on the rental amounts?

    You can write it in the lease it is up to them to maintain the lawn, otherwise, just outsource it to a company

    Hi Jake and thanks  for the reply. He ran some comps and based on my 4bed 3bath home and its location he feels the amount is accurate  based on the rental market. 

    I will have to have a property management  agent estimate  my home rental value just to feel more secure. 

    And thanks again. 

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2017 · 864 posts · 555 votes
    7y

    @Henry Escobar I would too, better to be certain! Glad to see you are doing your due diligence on this man!

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Jake S.:

    @Henry Escobar I would too, better to be certain! Glad to see you are doing your due diligence on this man!

     Yes! Thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    7y

    @Henry Escobar, I'm a big fan of reliable lawn/landscaper service on rentals.  It keeps the property looking in tip-top shape, the landscaper can keep eyes on the property more frequently than you can, and they can bring in extra help when there's an issue with the fence, sprinkler, fallen tree, etc.

    I want my properties to look better than owner-occupants' yards.

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Brit F.:

    @Henry Escobar, I'm a big fan of reliable lawn/landscaper service on rentals.  It keeps the property looking in tip-top shape, the landscaper can keep eyes on the property more frequently than you can, and they can bring in extra help when there's an issue with the fence, sprinkler, fallen tree, etc.

    I want my properties to look better than owner-occupants' yards.

    I agree  ! Looks like my question  is solved. 

    Thank you BP!

  • Valhalla, NY · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 84 votes
    7y

    Hey Henry,

    Depending on how big the property is and your market you could usually have a lawn cared for for approximately $30-$40 a week or bi-weekly if you want to save some money. Again all markets are different but I charge around $40 for a 10,000 Sq Ft lot in Westchester, NY suburbs. Good luck

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nicholas Mann:

    Hey Henry,

    Depending on how big the property is and your market you could usually have a lawn cared for for approximately $30-$40 a week or bi-weekly if you want to save some money. Again all markets are different but I charge around $40 for a 10,000 Sq Ft lot in Westchester, NY suburbs. Good luck

    Thank you for that advice!   my lot is 5,000 sq ft. $ 30 -40 bi- weekly would  be ideal. 

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    just scheduled  my lawn care starting this Saturday  for $36 bi weekly!

    That way I can start building  a relationship  with my lawn care expert  now and have extra eyes on my property while im away in the very near future !

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    7y

    Find out how much it costs to maintain the yard and then add that to the rent.  Remember the grass only gets cut part of the year, so if it costs $40 every 2 weeks and it needs to be cut for 16 weeks of the year, take the $320 and divide it by 12 to add to the rent over the year.  When the lease is coming up for renewal, call the landscaper and update the cost.

    The tenant will likely be happy that they don't have to do it or buy a lawn mower.

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Theresa Harris:

    Find out how much it costs to maintain the yard and then add that to the rent.  Remember the grass only gets cut part of the year, so if it costs $40 every 2 weeks and it needs to be cut for 16 weeks of the year, take the $320 and divide it by 12 to add to the rent over the year.  When the lease is coming up for renewal, call the landscaper and update the cost.

    The tenant will likely be happy that they don't have to do it or buy a lawn mower.

     Thank you@Theresa Harris I will use this advice!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Henry Escobar Check the rules of the municipality that the home is located in because in the towns/cities where we operate, if the lawn goes unattended for a long period the homeowner is subject to fines. This is why we typically coordinate the lawn maintenance for our properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Henry Escobar

    Depends. What's your projected cash flow on that property (after "all" expenses...everything), and what is the lawn service cost?

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Henry Escobar

    Depends. What's your projected cash flow on that property (after "all" expenses...everything), and what is the lawn service cost?

    $36 bi weekly lawn care

    putting aside $100 on maintenance  monthly.

    Should be about $400 cashflow 

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Hi Henry,

    If you are on the upper tier of the rental market on the price I would have it all inclusive and pay for the lawn care. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2019 · 359 posts · 295 votes
    7y

    @Henry Escobar I prefer to use my trusted landscaper on all properties because he notifies me if he sees any issues or shady things and I know my lawn will be always taken care of on time, you cant always trust the tenant to not let it overgrow because they didnt feel like paying for the service that week or whatever. Also, its a good way to develop a relationship with a landscaper, they have notified me in the past of people wanting to sell their properties but the major thing is is the discount I get depending on the volume of properties I give the guy.

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Frank Wong:

    Hi Henry,

    If you are on the upper tier of the rental market on the price I would have it all inclusive and pay for the lawn care. 

    Yes I will be using that advice  thank you!

  • Member since 2019 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Henry Escobar I prefer to use my trusted landscaper on all properties because he notifies me if he sees any issues or shady things and I know my lawn will be always taken care of on time, you cant always trust the tenant to not let it overgrow because they didnt feel like paying for the service that week or whatever. Also, its a good way to develop a relationship with a landscaper, they have notified me in the past of people wanting to sell their properties but the major thing is is the discount I get depending on the volume of properties I give the guy.

     Definitely  agree! I already  booked a landscaper to come over tomorrow  to  look at the property  and start our relationship. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.