College degree required to start a Real Estate Fund (Syndicate)?

College degree required to start a Real Estate Fund (Syndicate)?

Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes

Hey BiggerPockets,

I aim to start my own Commercial Real Estate Fund as a vehicle to align with likeminded investors focused on long term wealth creation.

I am aware of a few people who have founded funds to syndicate and invest in real estate without having a college degree and I am curious if that is possible for me too, or if I am missing something?

Assuming I have a solid track record for myself, my overall question is, can I create a Commercial Real Estate Fund without having a college degree?

What has me thinking I would need a college degree is that I would need to have some sort of legal requirement in order to manage others money.

Thank you,

Matthew Ferguson

0Reply
18 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    7y

    A college degree in business may help you with some business literacy and acumen, but.

    You do not need a college degree.

    There are some professionals running syndications that did not finish high school.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Bjorik Mutize Thank you for the straight up answer, I really appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    A background of real estate success or related business success is necessary if you're going to be able to raise the money and ultimately be successful in operating the investment. A degree isn't necessary. 

    I got my Bachelors in Chemical Engineering. Absolutely no relation to real estate, but I have no regrets about doing that program. Rigorous study that teaches you how to think critically about difficult problems. There are many ways to learn that skill, and Chem E made sense for me back in the day.

    Success in business and real estate investing have been far more impactful in pushing my investing forward. It's like Michael Blank says, the law of the first deal.

  • Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Taylor L. I most defiantly agree that a related business success is necessary before one may go out and raise money/manage others money. 

    However, I figured I would ask about needing a College Degree because I didn't know if maybe the SEC required such a thing in order to manage others money in a Real Estate syndicate fund.

    Thank you for your input to this question of mine, I really appreciate it!

    Thank you,

    Matthew Ferguson

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.