Sergio Aguinaga
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
Lease renewal steps

Sergio Aguinaga
  • Detroit, MI
Posted Jul 7 2019, 16:49

Hello everyone,

I have my tenant on a 6 month lease and it’s time to renew her lease. I already gave her the itemized checklist which she returned, and a pamphlet and sheet about lead based paint back when she signed the 6 month lease but on lease renewal, it would make sense not to give these documents again. What are the steps for renewing the lease in Michigan? Obviously landlord tenant laws say that I must give a pamphlet, itemized checklist and all that good stuff on signing of lease but what about on lease renewal?

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 7 2019, 17:10

I'm not in Michigan, but for lease renewal I simply tell them "the conditions are the same as the previous lease except for...." then I list any changes.  for me only the rent changes.  then I get them to sign off on a document that is literally a couple lines stating that.

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Suarez
  • Fairfax, VA
Votes |
  • Fairfax, VA
Replied Jul 7 2019, 17:27

I bought the book on rental properties a while back, that comes with a lot of helper documents. One of them is a lease renewal. I use that for all of my lease renewals.

BiggerPockets logo
Meet Investor-Friendly Agents
|
BiggerPockets
Network with top investor-friendly agents who can help you find, analyze, and close your next deal.

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Aguinaga
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Jul 7 2019, 19:21

@Theresa Harris aah I see. So you don’t give any of those documents from the first time you rent to them like lead based paint pamphlet. Also, do you use a new lease and sign it again?

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Aguinaga
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Jul 7 2019, 19:22

@Daniel Suarez I do have that book. I’ll have to go over that section and document again, but I think I skipped it because it’s just 1 sheet. Is that better than signing the lease all over again?

User Stats

Votes
Edwin L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 7 2019, 19:24

We just add an addendum to the lease to extend the lease period.

User Stats

Votes
Theresa Harris
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 7 2019, 19:25
Originally posted by @Sergio Aguinaga:

@Theresa Harris aah I see. So you don’t give any of those documents from the first time you rent to them like lead based paint pamphlet. Also, do you use a new lease and sign it again?

Where I am we don't have to give them that documentation.  If you already gave it to them, ask them if they want another copy and then add that as a line on the lease renewal.  they can sign that they have the copy you initially gave them.  I don't reprint the entire lease, I just get them to sign a form that says they are renewing with the same terms and the rent will be _____ then fill in the blank. 

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Aguinaga
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Jul 7 2019, 19:54

@Edwin L. An addendum being a sheet after the lease ends to renew the contract right?

User Stats

Votes
Sergio Aguinaga
  • Detroit, MI
Votes |
  • Detroit, MI
Replied Jul 7 2019, 19:56

@Theresa Harris oh okay I understand. I want to add that line to the lease or addendum (which ever I use), but modifying these documents without an attorney looking over it makes me scared. I don’t know if setting up an appointment with one just to ask that is worth it. I already modified my lease with one.

User Stats

Votes
Edwin L.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Replied Jul 7 2019, 22:00

@Sergio Aguinaga, yes I'd add an addendum X with the terms and incorporate with the original lease.

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Wick
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Ankeny, IA
Votes |
  • Ankeny, IA
Replied Jul 8 2019, 08:26

@Sergio Aguinaga

Like everybody said, just use a Lease Addendum for anything that is changed from the original lease. Google “Lease Addendum Template”. Very easy.

User Stats

Votes
Emily B.
  • Greater Lansing Area, MI
Votes |
  • Greater Lansing Area, MI
Replied Jul 10 2019, 06:41

No need to give the pamphlets again on a renewal.