Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 40 votes
I just found out through my PM's new monthly statements that the tenant's sister stays with her one week each month - and she apparently pays the whole rent. The tenant has been there for almost 3 years and the rent is always paid. When I found out about the sister, my PM said that the sister is "very nice" and didn't think that there was a problem. However, I worry about any liability or any rights the sister has now on the property.
The tenant's lease states the people who live in the property and "no others". Does anyone have any thoughts about this - this is in Arizona.
Rental Property Investor · Edmond, OK · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Not sure about the sister's rights to the property, but I wouldn't be too concerned. My lease has a clause in it that states anyone staying over a certain number of consecutive days is considered a resident and must be added to the lease. It's definitely more than a week at a time though. You may see if your lease has a clause like that. I personally wouldn't worry about her long as you aren't having complaints and the rent is being paid on time.
Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
7y
If it caused other issues I might be concerned. Honestly rent is paid the property is maintained accordingly. A visitor is just that. You said the sister pays the whole rent? Makes me think who pays the rent at my property, then I realize it doesn’t matter as long as it is paid legally and on time.