Wheelchair Banged up Walls . . . what to do

Wheelchair Banged up Walls . . . what to do

Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 17 votes

I'm not sure how costly it's going to be to repair and repaint. Normally, I would take it out of the deposit . . . but I'm struggling with the ethics of doing this. It seems like I simply have to suck it up. Anyone have recommendations for a good and reasonable painter South of Atlanta?

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
7y

As the parent of a child in a wheelchair, I would let it go and just be glad I'm not the one in the wheelchair. 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y
    If the unit suffers damage, why wouldn't you hold the tenant responsible? (despite the wheelchair issue)
  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Also, I haven't seen the damage but I suspect you may have damaged sheetrock (ie, torn through the paper) which is going to require repair in addition to painting.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 930 posts · 836 votes
    7y

    Does your handyman give you a specific wheelchair damage discount? If not, why is the damage source pertinent?  Take it from deposit and get the place ready for next tenant.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    7y

    wheelchairs don't get a free pass.

    Unless your hallways and rooms are only 3 ft wide, a wheelchair shouldn't be hitting the walls constantly.

  • Developer · Decatur, GA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I'd let it go.  Normal wear and tear is not something you can charge to the tenant.  You could lose more than you gain fighting it.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Damage is damage.  You are running a business.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    As the parent of a child in a wheelchair, I would let it go and just be glad I'm not the one in the wheelchair. 

  • Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2017 · 131 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Thank you for your replies. Good and interesting to know that there is no one standard answer. I’m gonna have to go with my conscience on this one and tell myself that would have had to paint anyway. 

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    7y

    @Katrina Cabral business business blah blah. Nothing ever trumps being a good person. I respect your decision. On the flip side, my worst tenant is in a wheelchair.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.