Gas stove that turns itself on?

Gas stove that turns itself on?

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes

Just got a report from the tenant that they have disconnected the gas stove because it turns itself on when they are gone? This is a modern gas range with electirc ignition. Said they have come home twice to a hot house with a stove on that wasn't on when they left. How is this even possible? I will be picking up rent tonight and taking a look. Sounds fishy to me. On one hand I don't want to buy a stove and loose this month's rent. On the other hand, if a fire occured....

0Reply
160 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Hartville, OH · Member since 2010 · 148 posts · 174 votes
14y

Same here. I hate gas stoves....and I hate the idea of an open flame in one of my rentals even more. I convert all my rentals to electric stoves. Heck I even install a kitchen fire extinguisher next to every stove in all my rentals.

Maybe I have an unhealthy fear of fire...........

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Patricia, you need to replace the oven thermostat. Do it as soon as possible. If you put it off, you could end up with a house fire. The thermostat is bad and isn't going to limit the oven temperature. A local appliance repair shop will have it. If needed, there's an appliance shop on Main Street in Akron (North Hill area)

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @James H.:

    Just got a report from the tenant that they have disconnected the gas stove because it turns itself on when they are gone? This is a modern gas range with electirc ignition. Said they have come home twice to a hot house with a stove on that wasn't on when they left. How is this even possible? I will be picking up rent tonight and taking a look. Sounds fishy to me. On one hand I don't want to buy a stove and loose this month's rent. On the other hand, if a fire occured....

     I would just replace the stove. Better be safe than sorry. If there was a fire and the tenant showed that they communicated this issue to you and you did not act that could be bad for you. Just spend the $500 on if they claim this on the next stove you will know something is fishy.

    On a side note whenever possible we always try to make the tenants provide their own appliances. It works really well for single family, duplex, triplex and quad buildings. Really cuts down on our costs and headaches.

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    modern stoves have a safety mechanism for over pressure.

    When the pressure is too high..

    They will start automatically to relive the pressure...

    This too is dangerous....

    CALL THE GAS COMPANY...

    DO NOT LEAVE IT TO SONE DUMB MAINTENANCE TECH TO FIGURE OUT....

    IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN...

    The gas company has knowledge of every pressure everywhere...

    The are kinda like Google....

    Need to know... Just ask...

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    The broiler on the apartment gas range in my rental turned itself on while I was cleaning it. Turned itself off after approx 10 seconds. I triple checked I hadn't hit the knob (I hadn't) and after about 10 min it happened again.  I unplugged the unit. I called the gas company, they just told me to call a service company and so did Danby (the manufacturer). Surely this is a consumer safety issue?

  • Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Jennifer, in my experience, every time a stove has done that, it’s the temperature control thermostat.

    The thermostat thinks it’s calling for heat. Contact your local appliance parts company. Tell them what happened and they will verify the proper repair and sell you the proper part.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    don’t feel crazy because last night my two year old stove was clicking and lit in middle of night! It burn a plastic cutting board resting on stove! —I woke up at 11:30 and went to restroom,  and to kitchen there was nothing going on. Went back to bed and was woken  up to a clicking noise and smell of gas around 1:30! I went out to kitchen and the knob was turned halfway through spark setting. And the grill was hot melted plastics from cutting board on grill.. my wife and I aren’t very superstitious but doesn’t make sense how’ve the new stove with. A twist push action randomly lit middle of night.. I’m trying to make any excuse to my wife why the switch could randomly twist and push by itself.. and even if it is possible my wife left the switch barely on it wasn't clicking or wasn’t smell of gas either and she also cooked 6 hours prior to the 1:30am situation.  So not understanding how the knob turned by itself little worried about the family  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.