Renting to people about to file bankruptcy?

Renting to people about to file bankruptcy?

Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 3 posts · 1 vote

I'm pretty new to the rental business.

I have someone interested in my condo, but his credit is really bad,
and he is about to file bankruptcy to start fresh. His fiancee who
will be co-leasing and cosigning has great credit. He is willing to
put down a 2-mon deposit plus a huge pet deposit to easy my fear. My question is that if he files for bankruptcy while living in my rental, how it affects me as the landlord. If he stops paying rent while in bankruptcy proceeding, can I evict him?

BTW, this is in California.

0Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2010 · 476 posts · 305 votes
14y

I love renting to people who file BK. It gives them a clean slate and I don't have to worry about their creditors garnishing wages. I've had several tenants in the past who had creditors start garnishing wages and they either have to leave or go on a payment plan with me to stay caught up on rent. Yes, you can still evict them if they stop paying rent to you while in BK proceedings. You are not a creditor to them.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2010 · 476 posts · 305 votes
    14y

    I love renting to people who file BK. It gives them a clean slate and I don't have to worry about their creditors garnishing wages. I've had several tenants in the past who had creditors start garnishing wages and they either have to leave or go on a payment plan with me to stay caught up on rent. Yes, you can still evict them if they stop paying rent to you while in BK proceedings. You are not a creditor to them.

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    I thought we had a landlord here that had a nightmare tenant that was able to delay eviction in BK court? I will have to find that thread.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    14y

    One of the first debts cleared in Bkis rent, the BK jusge knows they have to live somewhere.....

  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y
  • Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
    14y

    I would be more willing to rent to someone that had already cleared BK than one that is facing BK. Too many unknowns going into BK.

  • Real Estate Consultant · San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 44 posts · 13 votes
    14y

    While their rent is calculated in the BK equation, all back rent owed from before the settlement is considered a debt owed. You may have months of back rent that get negotiated to 15% of the total owed.

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like too much trouble and too many unknowns for what's worth. The down side could be huge. I guess I will stay with safer choices. Thanks.

  • Investor · Union, NJ · Member since 2011 · 838 posts · 295 votes
    14y

    James,

    Why not have the Fiancee solely on the lease??

  • Involved In Real Estate · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2010 · 341 posts · 86 votes
    14y

    Remember that the fiancée is their only source to credit and they are putting down two months of deposits. If one person on the lease defaults, you can go after the therefor the entirety. I don't feel this one is too much trouble, in fact I feel it's more of a guarantee. In my opinion, I would take this one and run.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    Here is what a real estate attorney has written on this matter:
    http://dornish.net/tag/bankruptcy

  • Carlsbad, CA · Member since 2012 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Ok, here what I figured out by talking with my attorney.
    1. If he files for BK and include me as creditor, there's an automatic stay of at least 8 wks which means I can't evict him during this time.
    2. Since they're not married, the fiancee can possibly leave if they ever get into a fight, and she can go any where. The one with the bad credit+BK is the one I have to deal with.
    3. It doesn't matter who is on the lease, when it comes to eviction, both must be served and evicted, so the BK will stop that.
    4. Eviction involving BK costs thousands of $$$.

    So in conclusion, stay away.

  • Real Estate Investor · Hazel Crest, IL · Member since 2012 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    i agree with greg b

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.