tenant 'cleaned' carpet herself. Would you charge for a pro?

tenant 'cleaned' carpet herself. Would you charge for a pro?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes

I just love when tenants get all hostile when it's time to move out and their security deposit is on the line.

Would you charge for carpet cleaning in this case?

Tenant lived in the house for 4 whole years. I know they all wore shoes inside the house on the carpet.

They were otherwise pretty clean. 

Up until 2 days ago, they were still scrambling to move. I told them I had the carpet professionally steam cleaned before they moved in 4 years ago, with the expectation that they would call the professional steam cleaner upon moving out. I showed them the carpet cleaning receipt from 4 years ago.

Today I do the move out inspection, and tenant says she did the carpet cleaning herself. When I asked her what she used, she was stuttering trying to give me an answer. I asked "was it a steam cleaner?" Did you rent a machine?

"what? Steam cleaner?" she answered. She was fumbling. 

I see vacuum marks, but I haven't smelled the carpet yet. The carpet doesn't look dirty, but you know you can't see that microscopic gunk and odor in the carpet.

Pro steam clean only costs $110. She spent $650 to do asbestos testing on my house to try to f*** me over, and now she's too cheap to hire a truck mount steam cleaner for $110. Amortized, that's like $25 per year over 4 years.

Lease contract says to return premises to original level of cleanliness upon moving out. Tenants did not trash the place, so that's good. But I could argue the carpets are not the same level of cleanliness.

Because of the asbestos situation, for which I was cleared, I lost close to $3000 from lost rent and hiring an asbestos consultant. I didn't charge them rent for July, even though I could have.

All things considered, would you hire a truck mount carpet cleaner and deduct from security?

0Reply
52 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
7y

@Mike Franco - what is your reason for not charging July rent? It seems that you're a kind man. You tell us that you spent $3000 due to frivolous reasons and you don't know if you should charge her $110 to professionally clean your carpets. I want you as my landlord.

The good is that for the most part she respected your home. That $3k is a sting too harsh to let slide...if I were you, I'd deliver the following in an upbeat and positive manner, "You took good care of the house, which is wonderful. Other than a charge to professionally clean the carpets, I'm going to return the rest of your security deposit". 

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco

    Yes. Because my lease states “professionally cleaned” wrt carpets.

  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    yes because it does clean deep down, and that is how it carpet as to start with, or tell her to do it with a steam cleaner.  But in the future put that in the lease as a condition.

    I do have a vacuum type of a cleaner and use it in my home as I have pets.  BUT, if I started a rental with steam, the I would want to keep it as steam.

  • Real Estate Agent · Merritt Island, FL · Member since 2017 · 974 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco - what is your reason for not charging July rent? It seems that you're a kind man. You tell us that you spent $3000 due to frivolous reasons and you don't know if you should charge her $110 to professionally clean your carpets. I want you as my landlord.

    The good is that for the most part she respected your home. That $3k is a sting too harsh to let slide...if I were you, I'd deliver the following in an upbeat and positive manner, "You took good care of the house, which is wonderful. Other than a charge to professionally clean the carpets, I'm going to return the rest of your security deposit". 

  • Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 216 posts · 110 votes
    7y

    Mike,

    Sorry about the asbestos situation - sometimes you can't win them all no matter what.

    And add another yes vote to charge for the carpet cleaning. I actually suggest doing this if possible for each tenant turnover as a business policy and not giving the tenant the option to do it.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tchaka Owen:

    @Mike Franco - what is your reason for not charging July rent? It seems that you're a kind man. You tell us that you spent $3000 due to frivolous reasons and you don't know if you should charge her $110 to professionally clean your carpets. I want you as my landlord.

    The good is that for the most part she respected your home. That $3k is a sting too harsh to let slide...if I were you, I'd deliver the following in an upbeat and positive manner, "You took good care of the house, which is wonderful. Other than a charge to professionally clean the carpets, I'm going to return the rest of your security deposit". 

    I'm not kind, but I do obey the law. I try to keep it professional with tenants. I did not charge July rent because I wanted to get the tenants to move out, because they were trying to cause legal problems.

    I'm conflicted about this carpet cleaning situation not because I'm kind, but because California has a ruthless 3x penalty for frivolously deducting from security deposit, and our stupid contract is vague and open to interpretation.

    Here's the exact line in my contract... " 

      1. Upon RESIDENT’s vacating the premises, OWNER/Agent may withhold from the security deposit only such amounts as are reasonably necessary to remedy RESIDENT defaults including, but not limited to, the following:
    • to clean the premises, if necessary, upon termination of the tenancy in order to return the unit to the same level of cleanliness it was in at the inception of the tenancy,

    According to Avvo, some attorneys say you can't deduct for something that looks clean. But I imagine there are some judges who will agree that after 4 years occupancy, your walmart dirt devil will not suck up all the sh** you bring in on your shoes, even if the brown carpets look clean. On the flip side, there are judges who don't like landlords and might penalize you 3x $110 if they think "if it looks clean, then it is clean." 

    Carpet is an item that is universally bitched about by tenants. People conflate wear and tear with cleanliness.

    A carpet can be slightly worn, with irremovable stains, but clean of dandruff, dander, and other crap. A stinky carpet is not normal wear and tear, but some might disagree.

    I'm sure I can logically argue my case in front of a judge, but is it worth it...

    And yes, I have revised my lease contract template for future tenants, explicitly stating truck mount steam cleaning professional is required.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I would not expect a tenant to have the carpet professionally cleaned on moving out.  That's my job as a landlord.  I expect the place to be "broom clean", and I don't trust what kind of job the unknown carpet cleaner will do.  I know you are angry because the tenant cost you money on the asbestos, but I think you should let this go.  If this were different renter who stayed 4 years, paid on time, and left the place in good condition, would you be nitpicking about the carpet like this? 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 555 posts · 261 votes
    7y

    Lauren, what state are you in? 

    Tenants can opt to have me call the carpet cleaner, so we're not dealing with an "unknown carpet cleaner", but tenants are expected to pay one way or another.

    If you provide professionally cleaned carpets to tenants, should they not cover the cost to return the carpet to professionally clean condition?

    You don't think that is reasonable, common courtesy?

    Our contract says the security deposit is used to return the unit to the "same level of cleanliness"


    California civil code. CIV §1950.5. 
    a) This section applies to security for a rental agreement for residential property that is used as the dwelling of the tenant.
    (3) The cleaning of the premises upon termination of the tenancy necessary to return the unit to the same level of cleanliness it was in at the inception of the tenancy.

    A germ filled carpet which was dry vacuumed is not the same level of cleanliness

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    Any place I have rented that has carpet always specifically stated will be professionally cleaned with receipt. If not then a deduction will and should occur.  

    I’m a big supporter of I provided you a clean and functional property.  ANYTHING that isn’t as expected is charged for.  I also don’t do work myself because i can’t charge for my time but I can charge them for my property managers or cleaners or painters or handyman’s time. 

    Typical things I charge for

    - professional carpet cleaning (Removed all the carpet so that is no longer an issue for my current properties)

    - professional cleaning services

    - ovens cleaned out

    - vents filters or anything else replaced  

    - all keys returned (I have and charge a rekeying fee in my lease)

    - all outlets tested and charged if they were broken 

    - 5 year deprecated for paint (4 years equals they would pay for 20% of any painting needed)

    - light bulbs (per light bulb not working)

    - non reported leaks or holes or issues. 

    - broken items in the property are also fixed and charged 
     

    My rent basis is 700-800 so my security deposits are one months rent. Normally they won’t receive anything but a bill when they move out.  Some people aren’t clean or know how to take care of things. 

  • Durban Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco Hi Mike. I'm still very new and at the learning phase but my approach may be to get the carpet cleaning professional in at your cost do the clean and provide a report and photos of the water before and after. And photos of the carpet before and after. I'm 100 percent sure photos of Clean water turning black or brown is proof enough that the carpet was not cleaned to the level required with general dry vacuum.

    I would also if you have access too it look up the suggested maintenance spec of the carpets which I'm sure would include an advised "steam clean" or wet vac of the carpets every x years.

    This can then be provided as support on why you have deducted this off the rent.

    All of the above of course if with the time and setting the president for future items as this.

  • Durban Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco sorry was meant to wrap up my above comment with all of the above if it's worth the time and setting a president for future issues like this.

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    If it's in the lease to have the carpets professionally cleaned, then that would be the expectation upon move out. If they don't provide the receipt, the amount of a pro cleaner should be withheld from the deposit. Pretty straightforward.

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, MN · Member since 2017 · 518 posts · 354 votes
    7y

    If they can't produce a receipt then it wasn't done. You should make them do it or charge them. I don't have my tenants shampoo carpets because I know they'd do a crappy job anyways. I bought my own shampooer and do it myself. Less wear and tear of them doing it and them me redoing it. Plus I worry that the upstairs tenants would use too much or spill water and cause ceiling leaks downstairs.

  • Montrose, CO · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco

    $110 is cheaper than my time to fight

    Pay it and get them clean you fixed the contract

    Most people want to move into a place knowing the carpets were professional truck mounted cleaned

    It’s in all my leases when the give me my 30 day notice I remind them about the professional truck mount and tell them I expect the receipt

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mike Franco  I'm in Arizona.  I think if you expect renters to have the carpet cleaned, you should put that wording specifically in the lease.  We all know that a lot of renters are irresponsible, and most don't have a lot of extra money, especially when they're moving.  Spell it out in the lease, or charge a non-refundable cleaning fee upfront, if California allows it.  

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 91 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    I don’t think you do it. Actually there is no need to for tenants to help you clean carpet completely after they moving out.

  • Member since 2019 · 94 posts · 50 votes
    7y

    Carpets are one of the common pain points between landlords and tenants upon move-out inspection. The longer a tenant has lived in a unit, the harder it will be to make them pay for cleaning, because it could be attributed to wear and tear, not abuse. Looking through my California NOLO book for landlords, tenants should clean any new stains and return the unit to the same level of cleanliness that existed when tenancy began. Whether that means to the same level of "steam-cleaning" clean or "surface" clean, I can't say. CA NOLO: "If the unit needs to be *additionally cleaned* to make it rentable, that should be done on your dime and considered part of the cost of doing business."  "You may charge only for cleaning that is actually necessary...include stained carpets..."

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    This is why I don't have carpets in any of my rentals. Carpets cause nothing but issues.  I'd expect the tenant to remove and clean any stains they caused.  The tenant was there for 4 years but how old is the carpet?  Carpets get used & abused and i wouldn't charge a tenant for steam cleaning if they didn't do any damage.  She lived there for 4 years so some wear throughout the entire place is expected.  On another note, I would also be bitter if a tenant takes me to court for some BS reason so, i don't get why you let her slide for July's rent??

    They could vacuum everyday and as long as their are no new stains or rips photos will show that it looks the same as the day they moved in.  Carpet steam cleaning is part of unit turnovers just like painting.  Every landlord knows when intentional or not intentional damage was done.

    Just saying, I know landlords that deduct from the deposit for non-functioning lightbulbs.  To me that's petty.  Sure, the landlord gave you all new functioning light bulbs when you moved in..Yeah, but the tenant probably replaced each bulb 5 times..Should the tenant ask for bulb reimbursement. It becomes ridiculous.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.