I'm redoing my bathroom for my rental property and my contractor say he can install either one at no additional charge. In your opinion which one one would you choose and why?
Contractor · Lewisville , TX · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 57 votes
7y
@Tim Huynh The door absolutely will look better and if it was a flip or A class and I would go that way, but a rod is a better idea otherwise.
I learned the hard way. That awsome looking glass door doesn't look as good after it hasn't been cleaned for 12 months. I like to also look for the things that will cut down on maintenance costs. The door can create work orders. I also look at liability and glass & shower could spell issues.
Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
7y
I would argue that if you're paying someone else for maintenance, anything other than A' class should be a shower curtain. While I have no doubt your contractor is going to be able to put it in correctly, replacing a sliding tub door isn't as easy as some might think. This is not a slam-dunk of any old handyman, for various technical reasons. Whereas a shower curtain rod, however fancy, isn't as complicated.
While I agree the door is nicer, you ought to make your decisions about bathroom design with long-term replacement costs in mind. Another argument about this that's often brought up is that the door wil typically allow less water to fall on the floor, however hare-brained the tenant is about using the shower curtain. That really only matters if you haven't handled waterproofing and tiling the bathroom floor wisely.
A lot of people go with the door because the door, "Just looks SO much nicer." Well, it may be free for you now, but when one of those panels shatter it's going to be $200 in materials minimum to replace the whole door quickly, and you'll have to change it quickly and pay a premium for that as well. While it might be theoretically possible to order a replacement panel from the manufacturer you won't be able to ask the tenant to hold off showering for a week for the replacement to get there.
Contractor · Lewisville , TX · Member since 2019 · 63 posts · 57 votes
7y
@Tim Huynh The door absolutely will look better and if it was a flip or A class and I would go that way, but a rod is a better idea otherwise.
I learned the hard way. That awsome looking glass door doesn't look as good after it hasn't been cleaned for 12 months. I like to also look for the things that will cut down on maintenance costs. The door can create work orders. I also look at liability and glass & shower could spell issues.
I would argue that if you're paying someone else for maintenance, anything other than A' class should be a shower curtain. While I have no doubt your contractor is going to be able to put it in correctly, replacing a sliding tub door isn't as easy as some might think. This is not a slam-dunk of any old handyman, for various technical reasons. Whereas a shower curtain rod, however fancy, isn't as complicated.
While I agree the door is nicer, you ought to make your decisions about bathroom design with long-term replacement costs in mind. Another argument about this that's often brought up is that the door wil typically allow less water to fall on the floor, however hare-brained the tenant is about using the shower curtain. That really only matters if you haven't handled waterproofing and tiling the bathroom floor wisely.
A lot of people go with the door because the door, "Just looks SO much nicer." Well, it may be free for you now, but when one of those panels shatter it's going to be $200 in materials minimum to replace the whole door quickly, and you'll have to change it quickly and pay a premium for that as well. While it might be theoretically possible to order a replacement panel from the manufacturer you won't be able to ask the tenant to hold off showering for a week for the replacement to get there.
Clearly I have a lot to learn about thinking like a landlord.