Rental property: a walk in master closet or a pantry

Rental property: a walk in master closet or a pantry

Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes

I recently purchased a property that is a 2 bedroom one bathroom. I am completely renovating it, by the time I’m finished it will be a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom including a master suite. I have some extra space in the back of the house between the kitchen and master suite. I’m pretty new to this so I’m not sure what people would naturally be more after, a kitchen with a pantry, or a master suite with a walk-in closet instead of a standard closet. In the end the pantry would cost more to do, but if I can charge a little more for rent each month it would pay itself off in no time.

Thank you in advance.

0Reply
24 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 13 votes
    7y
    I had a similar dilemma in my home. My existing master had a small walk-in. Nothing too impressive and its side wall shared the kitchen's side wall. So I was playing with closing off the walk-in and cutting in a door on the kitchen side to make a pretty sizeable pantry but determined it wouldn't help the desirability of my home either way. So what I did was closed off the closet and built in a regular sliding door closet in the master. It has about the same storage as the walk-in did so no love lost. Then on the kitchen side I added in a floor to ceiling pantry cabinet into the floor plan while replacing the original cabinets and opened up the whole kitchen/closet wall creating a decent sized breakfast nook/eating area which helped the overall feeling of the house in my opinion. Just explore all your options and try to appeal to the people in that market and your home's structural limitations. What would you like most if you were to live there?
  • Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    If it is a 4 bedroom house the kitchen needs food storage for likely 6 people.  If the kitchen has this space do the closet, if not do the pantry.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.