Visit the Rental w/out the Tenants?

Visit the Rental w/out the Tenants?

Rental Property Investor · Locust Grove, GA · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 19 votes

Hey BP community!

Quick question- Any rules or protips about trying to visit the rental property without the tenants present?

0Reply
19 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockaway, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Give legal notice (24 or 48 probably depending on state) and then go in to do what you need to do. Not much more you need to consider besides that unless you plan on doing something weird in their unit, but if you did I cant imagine you would be here asking.
  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 274 votes
    7y

    I try to only enter the unit when the tenant is present if I can. I don't want anyone accusing me of anything and I also feel like it is respectful to them as it is their home. That being said, 24 hrs notice is all that is needed in my area if I need to get in and fix something and they are being evasive. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    After giving legal notice and entering the unit, I really wish the tenant had been present.  It would have saved the back and forth that followed over what she claimed to be "repairs needed" to what really was "what the heck did you do to this place."  

    Check your lease but here's the just of it:

    "If a landlord wants to enter the tenant's rental property for any of these reasons, the landlord must give the tenant at least 24 hours written notice before entering. ... As long as the landlord follows these rules, the tenant's consent is not needed and the landlord can enter without the tenant being present.  Tenants may refuse a landlord entry if they have not given proper legal notice to enter. RCW 59.18.150 also requires that tenants must make the unit available for entry when necessary for inspection or repairs."

    Hope this helps...



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.