Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 25 votes
So I have posted in the past regarding my rental and the issues with lead paint on the exterior. I recently did a renovation to the garage that was right next to the house causing damage to the existing wood siding. I now have access to all the areas I need to repair but I am disheartened. What I was hoping for was a quick "scrape and paint" but since it has lead paint no one wants to mess with it. I used LP smartside on my shed (the 8" x 12' boards) and I like that and would like to put it up on the rental. I just feel like doing the work myself, which I can do, will take me 2+ months utilizing all my nights and weekends as I work full time. However, the quotes to reside and paint that I have been getting are in the ballpark of 5K-8K and I can't afford that. I feel like I got into a rental that has more issues than I can handle and any and all guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Asking about lead paint is like starting a discussion about politics. You will get 30 different views. There is a point where you decide what you are supposed to do, can do and should do. Did the contractor test it and determine its lead-based? If it is you are supposed to have a contractor certified to work with lead paint. If it's a small area that may not be required. I carried a certificate for lead paint but did not renew it a couple of years ago, so some stuff may have changed.
If you decide to do it and there is not a lot of loose paint to be scraped, I would lightly scrape and use a good exterior primer on the house. Not paint and primer in one, but a quality primer first. Don't let the paint chips fly all over and contain them in a drop cloth.
If you go the LP Smartside route, do you think you could apply it over the siding that's there or will it need to be removed? I use it a lot and really like it. Also if you do this yourself and use the 12' lap siding, there is a guide you can get that will allow you to hold the siding is place if you do this alone.
I wouldn't get too discouraged, this is all part of the deal.
Rental Property Investor · Abilene, TX · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 25 votes
7y
Thanks for the tip on the LP smartside assist guide. The paint is in pretty terrible shape. I guess I could do it side by side and just take my time I suppose. Its just nice to get some assistance and talking me off of a ledge.
Property Manager · Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 67 votes
7y
covering up with smartside sounds like your best option. Just make sure have plastic drop cloth to catch the flakes and tape up the garbage bag you put it in. Especially if you have busy body neighbors or tenants that like to take pics.
Property Manager · Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 120 posts · 67 votes
7y
If they take pic and you aren't taking "protective measure", , their miserable selves could call EPA. If EPA feels like it, they can do a soil test. This isn't meant to discourage you. Just make sure you use proper safety practices. It'll help you out in the long run.
Realtor · Raleigh-Durham, NC · Member since 2018 · 324 posts · 218 votes
7y
@Riley Holt as a delead (lead abatement) supervisor in MA I would advise against just about everything everyone is saying here. You don't have proper training to do this stuff, so you won't do it properly. If you go ahead and do it yourself be careful..