8% natural light and 4% natural ventilation for each habitab

8% natural light and 4% natural ventilation for each habitab

Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

I will be calling on Egress company to come in and expand window is basement bedroom. I was reviewing the Ann Arbor code for basement dwelling:

https://www.a2gov.org/departments/build-rent-inspect/housing/Documents/05%20RH%20Cellar%20Occupancy%20Checklist%202019.pdf


1. 8% natural light and 4% natural ventilation for each habitable room

Point number one is my concern. The egress will cover the bedroom but as you will see by attached picture the living room (at bottom of stairs, doorway from here into bedroom with proposed egress) may be a problem. Now maybe that means that they don't deem the living room in basement as "habitable" which is fine, but if somehow eliminates using the entire bedroom downstairs as living space then is problem. 

I read that you can use an adjoining room but you would need something bigger than a door between them (50% of shared wall)

I want to know before I get egress company to come in. If I wait till Inspection from city it may be too quick a turn around and too big a hassle. My 3 bedroom 2 bath would go to a 2 bedroom 1 bath without basement

Does anyone have any thoughts on this. 

thanks

Darren

https://www.a2gov.org/departments/build-rent-inspect/housing/Pages/default.aspx

0Reply
15 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Fairhaven, MA · Member since 2018 · 167 posts · 159 votes
    7y
    If your code is the IRC you may use mechanical ventilation and artificial light.  If it's a bedroom as you noted you need egress.  As well as the 8%/4% there are specific sizes for the egress for bedrooms.
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Well, generally Any living area is “habitable space”.  If you have any doubts, I’d get an inspection from whoever is going to approve it first.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 930 votes
    7y

    Also, installing windows means you will have to get a structural engineer to see if a bigger window can handle the load, especially if you have a brick building.

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    thank you all for your comments. The IRC suggestions is interesting. I guess I will call them and ask if they follow as that would be perfect if you are saying I can use artificial light for downstairs living room and egress/natural light for bedroom in basement.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.