How do you know if you are paying too much for a CPA?

How do you know if you are paying too much for a CPA?

Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote

Is there an average price to pay for multi-state tax returns (3 commercial and 3 residential rental properties) in California? I believe I am being overcharged but it seems like a huge risk to search for and switch CPAs if that is the case. How would I reliably know that another CPA will do a good job for less money? Any advice on potentially switching CPAs or what to do if you think you are being overcharged is very much appreciated!

0Reply
12 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I would be more concerned with not paying enough for a CPA! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Juliette Lerner

    How much are you being charged? You could go turbo tax and do it yourself for cheaper... There’s a lot of work going into filing taxes correctly. Do you do the bookkeeping or is your CPA doing it?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    CPA's are like contractors , go to Home Depot to find a cheap one 

  • Member since 2019 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    We are paying around $2,500 per tax return (the 3 residential are here in CA and the 3 commercial are in 3 different states) and our CPA does do the bookkeeping. I knew our situation was complicated but I wasn't sure if that was a fair price. We're looking for places to cut back on the expenses or lower our taxes but, again, difficult to know if we're getting the best services.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.