Sound Proof Window Inserts for Rental

Sound Proof Window Inserts for Rental

Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 0 votes

I have a rental that backs up to a busy highway. It's a third floor unit in a condominium. The road noise isn't terrible considering how close to the highway it is. There are double pane windows, which are clearly helping mute a lot of the noise. They are expanding the highway so it's going to be even closer to the property. I'm considering installing sound proof acrylic window inserts (secondary glazing) that will reduce the amount of noise. It's going to cost between $3,000-4,000. I'm currently renting for $1,650 and there is an apartment complex pretty much right next to the property where rents are in the $1,800-1,900 range. Amenities are more or less the same. I would say my unit has better appliances and fixtures. I'm on the fence about spending the money because there's no guarantee I'll get market rent after the fact. That said, if I do the payback time would only be two years and everything after that would be gravy. Another point is that if I end up wanting to sell down the road I'll likely have to make the improvements to get the most interest from prospective buyers.

Has anyone faced anything similar/thought about reducing the noise levels in a rental? Were you able to charge higher rent?


TIA!

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y

Fiberglass insulation will attenuate more noise than enhanced windows. I will study behind the wall opening up adding more insulation to dampen from other sources. R13 to R21 etc. You also provide better thermal insulation at possibly lower energy cost. You can also add more wall outlets at same time.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    I've never seen these in person.

    But some things I'd think about would be the service life regarding clarity, fogging between the widows and fire resistance (as windows are considered and used as fire exits in an emergency).

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Fiberglass insulation will attenuate more noise than enhanced windows. I will study behind the wall opening up adding more insulation to dampen from other sources. R13 to R21 etc. You also provide better thermal insulation at possibly lower energy cost. You can also add more wall outlets at same time.

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Scott Mac they are removable (magnetic technology) so I'm not really worried about that

    @Sam Shueh you may be right but replacing insulation is going to be cost prohibitive. I had an acoustics expert come out years ago when I was living there and thinking about doing this. He suggested I start with the windows. I'm not trying to eliminate all noise but just reduce the decibel levels a little so it's quieter. Soundproofing the unit otherwise will get expensive quick

  • Investor · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2015 · 219 posts · 104 votes
    7y

    @Dan Collins

    Take a look at a company called Indow Window. It is a window insert that is removable. It has an acrylic window like you mentioned but has a a sponge foam border around the perimeter of the acrylic. They are all custom and made to size, so the foam allows the window to fit snug.

    It helps with insulation and noise. I never got that far, but the cost is based on the size but comparable to a cheap builder grade window. I was informed about $125-$150 a window.

    Good luck

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Ravi P. thanks. I actually contacted them but they are way overpriced in my opinion. The acoustic grade are $36 a sq ft. I have a couple large windows (6x6) so it added up quick. I like Magnetite or similar DIY with the same magnetic/acrylic technology as it’s a lot more affordable.

    I’ve done the research so really just wanting some advice on whether it’s worth it or not in terms of additional rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Have you had complaints about the noise level from tenants? Do you anticipate that you will when they expand the road?

    Is the municipality participating with property owners to mitigate noise?

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @John Teachout I did get that feedback when I was trying to find my last tenant so I know it does impact the number of people interested. The view of the highway might deter some as well although there is a nice skyline view right after the highway.

    They are building a sound abatement wall but I’m not expecting much impact since I’m on the 3rd floor.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.