Simplisafe Alarm/Monitoring System For Rentals?

Simplisafe Alarm/Monitoring System For Rentals?

New to Real Estate · Ooltewah, TN · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 4 votes

Hey all,

One of my concerns as a landlord is water, fire, and other damage by a tenant or plumbing. I was wondering if adding a Simplisafe Alarm system which also has optional water/flood and fire detectors would be a good idea to add to my rentals for piece of mine and added value to the property (I'm just assuming this, but not sure if it really adds any value) and for the tenants (the security portion of the system)?

Basically, with their system, I would have a remote way of keeping tabs on the property without interrupting the tenants as often. 

What are your thoughts, and do you know of any better systems or methods to accomplish the same goal?

Thanks

0Reply
36 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Hi Robert,

    Did you end up adding Simplisafe? I'm looking at buying a rental and have been considering Simplisafe myself.

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 861 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    I use them for vacant properties since they are easily portable.  Knock on wood, no breakins yet but both me and my cleaning lady have met the police now 3 times, so it does work...   I do think they are pricey for what they are, and their marketing is bait and switch. They advertise one price but if you want to use the features they advertise along with that price, its actually more. Disappointing but I already bought the hardware.

    For a water line break type flood, you can buy gadgets that will detect if a water line breaks (consistent free flow of water) and shut off a valve, I think they also will notify you. 

    If its going to be permanently installed you may be able to negotiate a better deal with another provider. 

  • Laveen, AZ · Member since 2016 · 584 posts · 528 votes
    5y

    @Robert Smith @Don Foster

    I would say you have insurance to cover you for loss against fire and plumbing floods, and can buy separate insurance for natural floods.   @Account Closed is correct there are devices that can be installed at your main water line to detect and prevent floods.  Security devices have their limitations and may be best used during vacancies if crime is a concern in the property area.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.