Property manager wont disclose new tenant's information?

Property manager wont disclose new tenant's information?

Member since 2019 · 96 posts · 7 votes

First time investor and I just put my first ever new tenant into one of my units. My PM mentioned the tenant was screened and meet income, background, criminal background search and all this was done on appfolio.

I asked for her application. And my PM mentioned that they cannot share because the applicant agreed to share the info with the property manager company. And the PM company cannot share the info with anyone even the owner. And that the applicant will have to share that to the owner. 

Is this abnormal? This is my first rental. My PM seems good through. They send me lease report on time and also evicted a tenant that didn't pay and didn't let it drag on. 

Just a first time owner that is trying to figure out the realestate landscape.

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
6y

Chill ..Let them do their job geez , that’s why you are paying them good money 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Chill ..Let them do their job geez , that’s why you are paying them good money 

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert Hernandez The background and credit information cannot/should not be shared with anyone. The application, past addresses etc can be shared. The lease of course can be shared. When I used a PM I never even wanted to know the tenant's names.

  • Member since 2019 · 96 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Dennis M. @Bjorn Ahlblad

    Thank you for the in-site. I will let me PM do their job. This is the first time I put someone in so I wasn't sure. If they pass the screening with no eviction and criminal and pay on time I am happy. Thank you!

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert Hernandez one thing I would pay attention to-make sure your PM physically inspects the units annually! I found out the hard way how important that can be-it also cost the PM her job!

  • Member since 2019 · 96 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Bjorn Ahlblad Thanks will do. I will request this. Also, do you manage any of your properties?

  • Bjorn AhlbladPro Member
    Investor · Shelton, WA · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Robert Hernandez:

    @Bjorn Ahlblad Thanks will do. I will request this. Also, do you manage any of your properties?

     My wife and I do not use a PM any more, my wife does it all with a little 'interference' from me. 

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Robert Hernandez I understand the desire for privacy. But I wouldn’t mind asking what their rules are and to confirm the new tenants met those rules. 650+ credit score, no evictions, no criminal history, etc.

    basically you’re confirming they are doing their job without getting into the specifics of this renter. With all the bad PMs out there - trust but verify!

    I’d hate to be 6 months down the road and hear them say, “well, we saw they had a 459 credit score, but they paid the security deposit when we asked...”

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.