Pet fees? What do you usually charge

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
6y

@Vanesa Gonzalez and @Rachel Fairweather what do you hope to gain with the $100 refundable? If a tenant moved in with two dogs, you would have a $200 increase to their deposit. If the dog tears up carpet in one room, you'll be out 4x that amount. Digging in the yard could eat up 2x - 6x that amount. 

My point is that your refundable deposit isn't doing anything to mitigate your risk, it's not adding to your bottom line, and it's not a large enough deterrent for bad tenants. A bad tenant/animal can cause $6,000 worth of damage to a home so what is the $200 increase supposed to do for you?

I recommend a non-refundable fee up front, anywhere from $100 - $500 depending on your market and the type of animal. Then you add an animal rent per pet, per month and priced according to what your market can support. I've seen owners charge up to $300 a month for a single dog - and the tenant paid it! I prefer $50 a month per animal which is an additional $600 a year per animal. Add that to a $300 fee up front and the tenant is paying $900 in one year or $1,500 in two years which will actually cover some damage.

Most tenants are good and won't cause more damage/cleaning than can be covered by a traditional deposit but you are also providing them the opportunity to live with their pet, which other Landlords won't do. Use this as an opportunity to help the Tenant but don't forget to help yourself.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    @Crystal Wilson I charge a refundable $100 pet deposit. I do not charge rent.

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    Same as Vanesa. $100/pet and it's refundable. No monthly rent. Keep in mind, my rentals are lower end, so I don't have as much to lose if a pet tears up the property.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    I don't charge pet deposits. They are a liability and possibly refundable. I charge pet rent. An additional 25/month adds up over time.

  • Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    6y

    I charge $250 refundable security deposit per pet. No additional rent.

  • Realtor · ND · Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    Best advice is look at the market and see what others are charging.  When I listed my last property, it was one of just a few places that even allowed pets, which means I could charge a pet fee (non-refundable) on each months rent of $100.  Especially if your allowing large dogs or cats. (never allow cats, they destroy properties).  My opinion is deposits don't work, and the animal(s) are gonna cause more damage than that deposit anyway, just stick with a monthly fee, even it its small like $25. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    @Vanesa Gonzalez and @Rachel Fairweather what do you hope to gain with the $100 refundable? If a tenant moved in with two dogs, you would have a $200 increase to their deposit. If the dog tears up carpet in one room, you'll be out 4x that amount. Digging in the yard could eat up 2x - 6x that amount. 

    My point is that your refundable deposit isn't doing anything to mitigate your risk, it's not adding to your bottom line, and it's not a large enough deterrent for bad tenants. A bad tenant/animal can cause $6,000 worth of damage to a home so what is the $200 increase supposed to do for you?

    I recommend a non-refundable fee up front, anywhere from $100 - $500 depending on your market and the type of animal. Then you add an animal rent per pet, per month and priced according to what your market can support. I've seen owners charge up to $300 a month for a single dog - and the tenant paid it! I prefer $50 a month per animal which is an additional $600 a year per animal. Add that to a $300 fee up front and the tenant is paying $900 in one year or $1,500 in two years which will actually cover some damage.

    Most tenants are good and won't cause more damage/cleaning than can be covered by a traditional deposit but you are also providing them the opportunity to live with their pet, which other Landlords won't do. Use this as an opportunity to help the Tenant but don't forget to help yourself.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 323 votes
    6y
    I charge $400 for one pet and $100 each additional, limit of 3. One of the things about pets is, they cause damage. 100%. Sometimes it's not noticeable, sometimes it is, but everyone of them accelerate your wear and tear. My pet fee doesn't even really reimburse me for the wear and tear, since most of it goes to cleaning between tenants.
  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I agree with @Nathan Gesner A minimum of $200 nonrefundable pet deposit. I require $25 per month per pet.

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I do a $100 pet deposit. Yes its small, but keep in mind the regular deposit can also be applied to pet damage. So, the $100 is just to compensate for the additional risk.

    In addition, I charge a $35 cleaning fee up front (nonrefundable). I also charge $20/month per pet in additional pet rent. I will sometimes give a discount for multiples for a strong applicant. So, someone with 2 small dogs might pay $30/month pet rent instead of $40.

    I feel between all of these things I am protected. My goal isn't to make more from accepting pets. My goal is to attract better and more applicants and to have less turnover.

  • Peter TverdovBusiness Member
    Developer · New Brunswick, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    The pet needs to be screened at petscreening.com. A pet is a dog or cat, nothing else is accepted. 

    $30 rent for a cat or small dog

    $40 for a medium sized dog

    $50 for large dog

    The rent is due upfront is one lump sum. Helps show just how much they actually want a pet.

    Breed restrictions apply.

    This works very well for our property management company here in Central New jersey.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    6y

    @Nathan Gesner thanks for your input. I actually do not accept dogs in most of my properties but I have a couple SFH in not so nice neighborhoods and I took the " pets accepted" as my advantage. You are actually right about the no refundable fee. I will definitely change that. Thank you again!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y

    @Vanesa Gonzalez I would also recommend you can reconsider your no pet policy. 50 to 70% of all renters have at least one pet, depending upon your Market. Rather than limit the number of potential renters, why not find a way to monetize that an increase your occupancy and your return on investment?

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Eastern KY · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 43 votes
    6y

    I don't charge a deposit but I charge an extra $50 monthly rent.  I'd be careful about having a "pet deposit".  Typically, your initial rental deposit is going to be a higher dollar amount than any pet deposit.  If you label a pet deposit, then that is all you can keep for pet damage.  By not labeling it, you can keep the entire deposit regardless of whether the damage is caused by a pet or something different.  I've had properties I've charged $100 per month for a pet and they've paid as well.  An extra $1,200 a year is pretty nice and typically takes care of any additional wear and tear on the property.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Richard Queen:

    I don't charge a deposit but I charge an extra $50 monthly rent.  I'd be careful about having a "pet deposit".  Typically, your initial rental deposit is going to be a higher dollar amount than any pet deposit.  If you label a pet deposit, then that is all you can keep for pet damage.  By not labeling it, you can keep the entire deposit regardless of whether the damage is caused by a pet or something different.  I've had properties I've charged $100 per month for a pet and they've paid as well.  An extra $1,200 a year is pretty nice and typically takes care of any additional wear and tear on the property.

    A good point. I prefer to use the term "fee" for anything that is non-refundable. If I am increasing the deposit because of the animal, I just call it a deposit increase. If you call it a "pet deposit" then they may try to claim it can't be applied to anything except the pet or that the regular deposit can't be applied to pet damage.

    Also, I clearly state "animal rent" increases are for the life of their tenancy. If they remove the animal after six months, the rent increase remains. Why? Because the damage may already be caused! A rent increase only works if you collect enough of it. Paying monthly instead of a lump sum up front is for the benefit of the tenant, not the Landlord. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Crystal Wilson

    $250 Non-refundable pet fee (per animal)

    $50 Per month rent (per animal)

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 105 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    Thanks guys!!!  I just realized something. I just paid 4500 to get my whole lawn landscaped with rock and mostly mulch. Under the mulch is plastic. The big dogs would tear that up running around.   Any one ever have that problem?

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Crystal Wilson:

    Thanks guys!!!  I just realized something. I just paid 4500 to get my whole lawn landscaped with rock and mostly mulch. Under the mulch is plastic. The big dogs would tear that up running around.   Any one ever have that problem?

    The plastic only really stops the weeds for a short period of time. Yes, dog nails can pierce the plastic but anything that doesn't have drainage capacity is going to wash away the mulch anyway. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 565 posts · 377 votes
    6y

    @Crystal Wilson

    Look at your market and see what others are doing.

    In Idaho it’s common to pay a non refundable deposit and monthly per rent.

    It all depends on the type of property too.

    Good luck!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wilton, NH · Member since 2019 · 57 posts · 32 votes
    6y

    @Crystal Wilson i charge $35 for a small to medium dog and $25 per cat. Max 1 dog and or 2 cats

  • Rental Property Investor · Carthage, NY · Member since 2019 · 72 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    I used to only charge a $100 to $200 pet deposit for allowing 1 cat or small dog. In more recent years, I will charge as much as 1/2 the monthly rent as pet deposit. 9 times out of 10, damages will consist of some minor scratching on carpet or a couple doors as couple hundred will cover.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    Interestingly, in our area, dogs are probably more loved than people, so for the very few tenants who have dogs (< 20 pounds), we don't even bother charging a pet deposit or pet rent. 

    It is more of a marketing positioning ("pet-friendly"). 

  • Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I used to get $175/dog monthly, now I get $100. Used to get $100/cat, now $50. This is my niche.

  • Rental Property Investor · Beavercreek OH · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 970 votes
    6y

    We charge a $300 non-refundable pet fee and $35 per month additional rent per pet.  It doesn't cover our costs if the tenant's pet is out of control.  On average though, I think we make a few bucks over our 100+ doors.

    So many people have pets, we believe it would limit our rental pool too much if we excluded all pets.  We do, however limit the size of the breeds to our non SA and ESA tenants. We also exclude all pets (except SA and ESA pets) in all multi family units.

  • Rental Property Investor · UT · Member since 2014 · 127 posts · 68 votes
    6y

    Question to all - How do you handle "ESA" animals? My last turnover, I had significantly more applicants claiming that their animals were esa compliant compared to the last turnover. I even had one say they had 3 esa dogs. Seems like this is becoming more the norm, and a problem for landlords. Would love your input. Thanks all!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 152 posts · 159 votes
    6y

    @Crystal Wilson 50$ per month pet rent and 1000$ additional deposit. No aggressive breeds.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.