Snow Removal Service for Parking Lot?

Snow Removal Service for Parking Lot?

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 50 posts · 12 votes

We’ve purchased a triplex in Minneapolis this year which has a parking area in the back, and we do not charge tenants for parking. In the winter, do landlords of multi-unit properties provide snow removal service for parking areas? That is, besides the snow removal service for the walkways, sidewalk and stairs, will we need to provide snow removal for the parking area?

0Reply
50 views

Most Popular Reply

Tim SwierczekPro Member
Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y

@Jackie Sladky they do if they want to keep their tenants.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Minneapolis (Blaine), MN · Member since 2018 · 45 posts · 34 votes
    6y

    @Jackie Sladky what does your lease say about snow removal and lawn mowing? I know the city is strict about sidewalks but haven’t heard about them getting involved in parking areas. I would think at least from a liability perspective you would want it cleared.

  • Tim SwierczekPro Member
    Lender · White Bear Township, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    @Jackie Sladky they do if they want to keep their tenants.

  • Real Estate Broker · Hugo, MN · Member since 2016 · 688 posts · 596 votes
    6y

    @Jackie Sladky it really depends on the size and your tenants. We have a larger driveway of a four plex that has mostly male tenants that take care of the snow no problem. We will call for a plow when we get big snow to be nice. Another duplex with a very small driveway that if we didn’t plow it it would never get cleaned.

    Higher end properties (A class and B class) most definitely need to be plowed. C properties can often exchange rent credit for lawn and snow, but you are risking liability.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Jackie Sladky If the driveway is a shared driveway with all units parking in one area than I would highly recommend hiring a snow removal contractor to do this work unless your lease specifically outlines otherwise. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Emergency vehicle access was one we were warned on. But tenants park without any regard for a plow to get through or push the snow & we get a LOT. Then they complain that they were plowed in. I came by one morning as 3 tenants who parked in the spot we push snow were digging their vehicle out. My wife asked me if I was going to compensate them 'sure' I said 'I'll buy them larger snow shovels'...

  • Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2014 · 743 posts · 927 votes
    6y

    I don't have the parking area plowed as typically the cars are usually there.  Tenants are responsible for shoveling for their car and I take responsibility for sidewalks out front

  • Rental Property Investor · MN · Member since 2015 · 186 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    The snow removal company I use plows everything (parking, sidewalks, stairs etc) and sends an email to my tenants beforehand asking to move cars. If cars are not moved, parking won't be plowed. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Like @Account Closed we have a plow person who takes care of the driveways and sidewalks at our MF properties, SF tenants are on their own.  Instead of an email he sends them all a group text a half hour before getting there so they can move their cars.  If they don't move them they get plowed in.  He will then stop by after the vehicle has been moved to complete the clean up.

  • Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2008 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    Thank you, everyone, for replying.  The area in question has no driveway, just parking spaces.  The driveway is plowed.  I've asked the tenants, and it was never plowed in the past, so based on the info I've gathered, I am paying one tenant to remove the snows on sidewalk, walkways, steps,.. but not the sparking area, and all tenants have access to snow shovels on location.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.