Renting rooms out where you're living... Advice?

Renting rooms out where you're living... Advice?

Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes

I'm sure most of you would never rent rooms in your own house that you're living in with a roommate, but... I need to. Nice house... quality finishes, though a bit older. I want to minimize damage, and make utilities not cost me a fortune. I also want respectable roommates who are easy to live with.

What would you "cave" on if renting out rooms in your own house?

- Include all utilities, even if they aren't very cost-conscious?
- Allow the opposite gender?
- Allow someone very much older or younger than you?
- Allow one large dog or multiple small dogs?
- Lower the deposit?
- Allow short term leases?
- Offer some incentive, like doing yard work for small rent discount?

I'm getting inquiries, but people are either smokers (absolutely no way would I rent to smoker). Definitely no cats either.

Or, they're couples (sorry, no... I'm living here too... not living with a couple). Aside from noise and making it crowded, that would eat into profits with added utilities. I'm also kind of shocked when people inquire saying "my spouse and I are wanting a room." Since it's "utilities included," do they not realize more people = more utilities? Do they expect 2 for the price of 1?

Or, one medium-large dog or a few little dogs. I worry about dog damage.

Or, they're noticeably younger and are students with little/no rental history.

Or, they're much (decades) older and are professionals. I wonder if being a housemate of someone decades older would work out well for us both. I wonder why a 50 or 60 year old would want to rent a room in a house of young people, but... tough economy. Maybe they would be cleaner and quieter. And, probably more established in a career & longer rental history.

Cats, smokers, kids, couples, and people with a bad rental history are definitely out. (I'm living here... not comfortable with couples or kids.) That probably makes me sound picky, but... I don't want a nightmare of a roommate or tons of property damage.

Most houses around here include utilities, so I'm stuck including utilities too.

I'm not too near a college-- but within 15-20 minutes. Not ideal for students location-wise. Tons of offices nearby, so good location for professionals.

What "roommate" would you pick to rent a room in my house?

I'm having a hard time finding good matches. Put it on CL, but... not much luck.

Older? Younger? Short-term? Dog owners? Lower deposit?

0Reply
87 views

Most Popular Reply

SFR Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 184 posts · 55 votes
14y

My advice is go for it asap and don't be too picky. I had lots of roommates from age 18 all the way to 42* when I finally got married. Very few problems, I never did background checks back then, but you should these days.

Several times I bought homes with a couple extra bedrooms in the basement. The roommates were paying the entire house payment. The price is 20-30% LESS than a cheap studio apt.

Back then there were roommate services where the principal would actually meet you and be a matchmaker. Worth it. There are online services nowadays, but I don't have a clue if they work or are worth the cost. http://www.roommatefinders.net/rooms-for-rent/

Girls were usually a little more reliable than guys, so I recommend them highly. Never even had problems with shared baths, but girls will generally prefer not to share.

*I was in my late thirties and a girl came over prior to our date. She looked around at all the roommates and the state of the house and sniffed, "God, this is just like college!" I said, "Didn't you like college?"

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Probably someone with common interests and especially shared values, that will respect your property. You didn't state your age, but many times when there's one person much older they take on the role of parent or vice versa, so might not be a good idea.

  • Corpus Christi, TX · Member since 2012 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    14y

    Might use something like airbnb.com where you can actually see reviews on individuals who have done it before and possibly make more than sticking with a single long term tenant. Automatically covered for up to 1mil in damages if using that service. I didn't even know it existed until I read a different thread on the topic yesterday. It seems like a good model.

    -C

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Just be very careful as once you get someone in, it could get ugly getting them back out. My son has a roommate and it helps him pay his new mortgage and works well for him, but they were roommates before, renting an apartment together, so they knew they already get along. My daughter has trouble living with anyone, even best friends -- so if you get upset at someone leaving a coffee cup on the counter or clothes in the dryer, bringing other friends in the house, etc., then maybe find an alternative to renting out a room. I'd tell you to network, ask your family or friends if they know someone decent, but my mother-in-law rented a room out to an old friend, and now is challenged to collect rent every month and feels awful about having to force the issue, so just not working out. I'd be extremely picky in your ad, Room for rent to single male, must be non-smoker, no pets, kitchen & laundry privileges if kept neat and clean, no guests without permission, just be as anal as you want and see if anybody fits the bill. You might only get one or two responses, but at least they'd be more of what you're looking for.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    You are concerned with "rental history". If they had rental history, they would probably looking at something else - they're looking at a room because they have their reasons. They might have "roommate history" - that would be something I would want to know.

    You have to be selective. You have to be concerned over criminal history. You have to establish house rules. Once you are aware of what you don't want, you can express that better when you advertise.

  • Medford, MA · Member since 2012 · 163 posts · 36 votes
    14y

    I've done it for years, though I'm on the tail end of doing it. It works great financially while you are young. Problem can be when you notice they caused some minor damage ( a scratch here or there). You can't get over emotional about stuff like that, it is a tradeoff of having tenants in your unit.

    Alot of it probably depends on what market you are in. In my area housing is expensive so it is common for people in their 20s and early 30s to have roommates.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Have you tried varying the content of your CL posts? If your initial post here is any indication you may benefit from streamlining your ad.

    Your ideal roommate is a single young professional working at one of the nearby offices you referenced. They have the same concerns you do about living with a stranger so your approach needs to put them at ease. Avoid coming across as a tyrant and make the place sound appealing as you did in your first paragraph.

    When you speak or meet in person you'll get a good sense of fit and make sure you are both on the same page with respect to shared space, house rules, etc.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    Thanks for the advice.

    I didn't list all that in my ad. :) I included about the house, but I mention "no smoking" and about rental history. I did say "clean, and responsible."

    Maybe I should list some of my hobbies or about me to make it personal?

    I haven't been varying the ad. I guess I could vary it.

    I'm curious why someone looking in a roommate situation wouldn't have rental history. I consider rental history the same as roommate history, though. I suppose I could leave rental history out... I just don't want someone who trashed a previous place.

    My house is much nicer than the room rentals around here in it's price. Top location, too. But, I don't allow smokers or cats and prefer same gender as me... so that eliminates a lot of people.

    My price is good, too. Same price as a lot of nearby rooms, even cheaper than some. It's a little less than the nearest "somewhat icky" single efficiency apartment, and those don't include utilities. Mine does.

    Downsides are...

    - Multiple prospective housemates.
    I have space for a few, and most people wouldn't split the costs of a house.

    - Outdoor parking.
    Downside for them, but I once had a roommate who kept breaking my garage door. So, they'll have to deal with outdoor parking. Hopefully the low price and premium neighborhood makes up for it. Nearby apts. are outdoor parking too.

    I've got to say... I get a lot of replies from the other gender, and wonder if I should just go with one of them.

    I also get replies from people who aren't a match at all. I looked up one inquiries facebook and it had party stuff all over it... mixed in with her emotional rants. So weird. I'm not sure why she was interested.

    Gotten more couples. I still don't understand that one. 2 for the price of 1?

    Would you take a person of opposite gender if no good other matches?

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    Can I say this in my ad, or are there still fair housing issues with advertising for roommates? That is my ideal roommate for sure.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    You can say you are looking for a mature, responsible professional roommate, or you can say you are a clean professional yourself (which may attract similar personalities).

    As far as fair housing issues, roommate situations are treated differently than renting someone an apartment. Has something to do with the shared space being more personal. Either way, immaturity, irresponsibility and unprofessionalism are not protected classes - yet ;)

    Personally, I wouldn't be so hesitant to consider female roommates but you gotta go with who you are comfortable with.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Females will most likely bring boys/men. Whenever I rent to females alone I know there is a risk of a gang related boyfriend. Been there. Also, check for drama. No victims allowed.

    I would go for the higher rent and you will weed out some that don't care about quality.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jeff S.:
    Females will most likely bring boys/men. Whenever I rent to females alone I know there is a risk of a gang related boyfriend. Been there. Also, check for drama. No victims allowed.

    I would go for the higher rent and you will weed out some that don't care about quality.

    Rent to an ugly girl? Lol!

    Dave Meyer, said it - market to young single professionals.

    I would also market to graduate students in rigorous degree programs.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    The only type of college student to target for your tenant, IMO, is just like what Brian Hoyt mentioned - grad student in some rigorous field. That person will have little time for partying. That person might also have the need for a quiet environment at home. Gender shouldn't matter if you get a college grad student. But this type of student might not have enough time to be a neat freak.

  • SFR Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 184 posts · 55 votes
    14y

    My advice is go for it asap and don't be too picky. I had lots of roommates from age 18 all the way to 42* when I finally got married. Very few problems, I never did background checks back then, but you should these days.

    Several times I bought homes with a couple extra bedrooms in the basement. The roommates were paying the entire house payment. The price is 20-30% LESS than a cheap studio apt.

    Back then there were roommate services where the principal would actually meet you and be a matchmaker. Worth it. There are online services nowadays, but I don't have a clue if they work or are worth the cost. http://www.roommatefinders.net/rooms-for-rent/

    Girls were usually a little more reliable than guys, so I recommend them highly. Never even had problems with shared baths, but girls will generally prefer not to share.

    *I was in my late thirties and a girl came over prior to our date. She looked around at all the roommates and the state of the house and sniffed, "God, this is just like college!" I said, "Didn't you like college?"

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    I should try to be less picky. I'm just worried about ending up with a psycho, slob, or person who brings people over non-stop.

    Sketchy boyfriends? Yikes.

    "Didn't you like college?" Heh, that's funny. Long span of roommates, too. It does help with bills quite a bit.

    Good to know fair housing is different.

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    I got more inquiries with kids.

    They mention it so casually.

    "Oh, and I have a 7 year old."

    UMMM....

    "Oh, and I have a couch" is a casual thing. A child????? That's a big deal. I mean, it's bad enough for a roommate to have a cat... but... them plus one is like 2 roommates. For one price.

    Kids = loud, messy, more utilities, more people to crowd a place, liability (bath tubs? stairs? guests over? screening new roommates sufficiently to live with a kid?), babysitting, making it unlikely any other roommates will want to live there with existing kid, and... yikes. I like kids ok, but I'm not living with one.

    I feel bad for people who have kids and need to rent a room.

    I just can't understand why they would choose a roommate situation in a pricier area than a cheaper apartment around the same rate in a "normal" but safe neighborhood. I wish these people the best, I just can't imagine them thinking having a kid in a roommate setting isn't a massive deal.

    Thanks for the comments, all.

    I'll have to look into roommate finder services, too.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:
    I should try to be less picky. I'm just worried about ending up with a psycho, slob, or person who brings people over non-stop.

    Up front, you may want to tell people that this a month to month arrangement. That way if it isn't working out for either of you it can be resolved quickly (and amicably).

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Jon K.:

    I got more inquiries with kids.

    I feel bad for people who have kids and need to rent a room.

    I just can't understand why they would choose a roommate situation in a pricier area than a cheaper apartment around the same rate in a "normal" but safe neighborhood.

    I agree with all of your comments, and I wonder about someone with a kid who would bring that child into a home with someone they don't know - may be a reason they are having trouble finding a place. Also, have you seen how much damage kids do to a place? Forget about a cat or dog, kids are experts at wrecking places!

  • Member since 2011 · 798 posts · 216 votes
    14y

    Month to month... I like that.

    Ah, true... they're bringing their kid into a house of strangers. I forgot about that side of it. There probably is a reason they can't find a place, on top of money. I thankfully haven't seen kid damage. Yikes.

    I've gotten a few inquiries tonight that sound pretty good.

    One is an office assistant for an attorney (yikes), but sounds like a good match otherwise and seemed really pleasant in the e-mail.

    Another is some general office worker who says they're a neat freak. Couldn't find much about the second person online, just age... a little older, but not twice my age like some others. I have openings for the two, so maybe they'll both take it. I'm just glad some seemingly decent, childless people are are starting to inquire.

  • Residential Landlord · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 356 posts · 81 votes
    14y

    Good to hear you're getting good responses.

    I hear ya on the attorney's assistant, but it may not be that bad. See how you get along in person. Neat freaks can be good, at least you won't have to remind them to do dishes!

    I recommend a cleaning person so you never have to argue about that sort of stuff.

    And age is kind of relative - many people act +/-10 years their age but I see your earlier point on roommates twice your age....that is odd.

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    Bringing this thread back to life because we have rented out 1 or 2 bedrooms at a time in our personal home since we bought it in 2009.

    For us, it's been overall fantastic. We rent a bedroom for $700/month. Utilities are split between however many of us are in the house at the time. At first I thought there was no way we'd get $700 for a bedroom that doesn't even have a private bathroom, but we've never had a problem! $700 security deposit too. No pets as we already have a cat and dog. We do not give rental "discounts" for doing things around the house because we would never ask them to do things around the house such as yard work or repairs...but that's just us. Many times they have helped care for the pets, but that was just out of kindness and the relationship/friendship we built while living together. We've done favors for them too say when they have a minor car issues since we're gear heads and have all the tools.

    I think our area really helps. We're near Ft. Meade/NSA, so we have plenty of military and intel people coming through.

    We have great photos of the house and the bedroom and those photos get lots of attention and inquiries. We have had success using Craigslist, roommates.com, and the ad-posting site at work.

    We tend to have roommates in our general age range. We don't choose someone with children (or pregnant, which we've had an expecting girl inquire before), or couples sharing a room. In our other rentals, obviously not a problem, but this is our personal home, and well, we don't have our own kids for a reason, and a couple in a bedroom is just asking for trouble, I think.

    We had one military guy interested in the past that we just couldn't accept. He wanted us to add "quiet hours" to the lease as well as hours that he could use the laundry and even shower. Although we are not a rowdy bunch, our house is open concept, and well, you can hear conversation/TV in the family room. Regarding laundry/shower....you're a grown man! Those kinds of expected rules makes me feel like I wouldn't be comfortable in my own home.

    Anyway, the extra $1400/month (2 rooms rented) is amazing...not to mention help on the utilities...and the friendships that have grown out of many of our roommates. Otherwise, those would just be empty spaces making no money! When our lifestyle changes, we'll stop the bedroom renting business, but for now we love it.

    Oh! And we have gone from 1year leases down to month-to-month right off the bat. That way we're not stuck with someone in our house that doesn't mesh well with us. We decided this after having one roommate who was nice, but extremely dirty. When he moved out, he did one pass of the vacuum in his room and completely filled the canister with debris! I vacuumed again, and there was still tons of stuff getting picked up! I could share other gross habits of his, but maybe tell it at another time. ;-) We've never had a person before him with such poor cleaning habits.

    :-P Long post, but some good stuff in there. If you have extra space in your home, consider letting that space make some money for you....even if just for a short while!

  • Hudson, WI · Member since 2012 · 189 posts · 30 votes
    12y

    I currently do this. The only reason it works for me...

    1. we were friends before hand. i knew his party habits, his line of work (bartender and in school)

    2. we both arent perfectly clean, we get in tiffs occasionally, but we work it out, because we are friends. i have a doberman which adds to the mess, and hes working on not leaving stuff laying everywhere.

    3. hes a non-smoker, single college guy, no pets, and also into staying in shape, and similiar hobbies. I wouldnt date, nor will i rent to a smoker. He has also been respectful so far about bringing back women, which is very nice.

    4. for a while there i needed that extra income per month, now it just helps me live a more comfortable lifestyle. ive looked at it different ways ( pays half the PITI, or pays my harley and insurance :) )

    Renting a room in an older house is a challenge, or any house where you share common spaces. If you have a multi-level home where they can have the basement and only share the kitchen at worst, then it works even better.

    I intend to move up to the attic in the future, which will help. If my girlfriend ends up living with me, we will ahve to figure that out, they get along, but if she moves in, I imagine it will no longer make sense to have him for the extra income, unless i finish the attic/basement, to add more space.

  • Member since 2020 · 117 posts · 56 votes
    5y

    Lots of valuable info on here. I would agree with placing your asking price high and sticking to it. Do not adjust it to grab more interest or go down for someone. Set your expectations and stick to them and if that means 2-3 interests then so be it. At least you are getting high quality roommates. One tip I would add for anyone new trying this out is to put locks in all bedroom doors so that there is a respect of privacy. Be careful with your stuff especially with guests coming in and out of the house! The financial aspect of renting rooms is astronomical to your wealth and I would not let these small scares shy you away. Do your research and prepare as much as you can. I always say to go in it expecting things to give you a headache because they will happen.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.