Unexpected cost by property Managment

Unexpected cost by property Managment

Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes

Hello everyone,

My PM charged me $290 for replacement of a cartridge on a tub faucet. Does $290 not sound like I was way over charged? I mean how expensive are parts and labor? Sometimes I think about trying to manage my own properties from long distance. Thoughts?

8Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Property Manager · Plantsville, CT · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 66 votes
6y

@Nadir M.

I am a property manager and want to provide the PM perspective. I think any client absolutely has the right for a breakdown and explanation of any charge. You should look at this as part of your education process too. With that said, if your PM says it was an emergency I would not second guess the decision too much unless it is a trend or your are positive it is not. I had a situation where a cartridge went bad and as a result was spraying water laterally onto the floor and flooded an entire house. If my maintenance person's diagnosis was as described I would replace ASAP.

On its face the fee seems high but if done by a licensed plumber with a hourly minimum and done after hours or as an emergency call it is not totally unreasonable. You should respectfully ask the questions and get your explanation. I would be much more inclined to respond to an e-mail that stated, "Hey, the plumbing invoice seemed a little high for something that appeared so small, maybe you could just explain it to me or help me understand."

See this reply in the discussion

84 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Riverside, CA · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    That should be maybe $120, you were overcharged, but self managing long distance is tough.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    6y

    Do they have an upcharge for repairs? It sounds like it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    6y

    You may want to call a plumber or two in that area and see what they would charge,  Did they need to fix the surround as well ? Not that easy a fix sometimes.

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Aaron K.

    Well my parents live in that area so wouldn’t be too difficult...Thats just one too many repairs my PM has charged me a ridiculous amount for. He’s also suppose to call me for any charges above $200 and never did.

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Christine

    I told my PM to send me an invoice for the repairs and has yet to do so. He never mentioned any walls being replaced or anything else, just cartridge. He also is suppose to inform me, per lease agreement, any services over $200. That faucet was replaced prior to property being rented out. I just don’t understand where the $290 came from. He also said that the repairs that were done prior to property being rented out may have not used quality parts that they used which I think is total bs...it’s a tub faucet, how much more expensive can they get?!!!

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @John Thedford they don’t have an up charge, I’ve had many things repaired and this seems like the simplest repair at the most absurd amount. They said faucet was continuing to leak and had to change cartridge. Even if this was an emergency and needed to be fixed right away, which it wasn’t, it still wouldn’t cost $290.

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    6y
    Depends on the area I guess. A Delta cartridge is in the $40-50 range. If the plumber has 2 hours in the job that could be $140 labor plus a trip charge, plus the PM charge. Still $290 is somewhat high. My son-in law plumber would have charged the part to my account and a minimum $98 for the service call. Around $150 But you may be in a high price area.
  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Nadir M.:

    @Aaron K.

    Well my parents live in that area so wouldn’t be too difficult...Thats just one too many repairs my PM has charged me a ridiculous amount for. He’s also suppose to call me for any charges above $200 and never did.

    If this isn't the first time they've done that and your contract states they need to check with you for repairs over $200, I think it is time you talked to them.  If they do it again, find another PM.

  • Developer · Illinois-Wisconsin · Member since 2019 · 68 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M.

    You should get an accounting from the pm. Hours spent plus cost of part

    Long distance? Bad idea

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Arlan Potter that $290 was seperate form the Pm fee...the PM fee is $102. Not sure what type of cartridge it was. Waiting for invoices to come through. pM should have sent them first thing I shouldn’t be asking for them

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    A property management company looks out for their own self interests first . They need to make a profit . And that money comes from their customers (you) . 

  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M.

    I would verify if there is an up charge, and also make sure you get a copy of an invoice. I have a PM company and I upload the invoice when I cut the check so the owner can also see it. A charge that high, and I am already communicating with them. Because he didn’t inform you of the charge as the contract states for repairs over $200, sounds like a breach of contract. Maybe time to sit down and have a chat with the PM.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M., if you are ina major city, get a home warranty.  The prices are around $450 a year, $50+ for callout fees and no PM up charge.  ;-)

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Alan Grobmeier

    I actually have a home warranty and they never came into play which they maybe should have. I’m in Omaha NE so def not a major city.

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Sarah Brown

    Not sure exactly how to settle this. What would our talk be about?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M., the PM is ripping you off they knew you have a home warranty.  That should have been the first call. :-(

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Alan Grobmeier I’m going to have a talk with them on Monday

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Alan Grobmeier he did make it sound like it was an emergency :/

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2013 · 919 posts · 911 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M., if there is more than one bathroom/bathtub, it’s not an emergency.  That’s an inconvenience.  ;-)

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Alan Grobmeier only one yes. Tenant I feel like wines a lot and the PM gives them what they want at my expense is how it sounds like

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M. Whines*

  • Thorold, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 58 votes
    6y

    Few factors to consider too... is it tile? Surround insert? Did the PM have to break open tile to get to a potentially rusted out cartridge, replace and retile/re-drywall? I would hope the work wouldn't be that extensive, but you never know. If it's a simple replace then yes you got ripped. 

    4 hours at double minimum wage is my usual reference for starting point labour wise... add material and see where that brings you price wise. 

    Best of luck!

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Dylan Earl I’m going to wait to see invoice and see what all this plumber did. It’s a single valve faucet so it only requires one cartridge I think...nothing about ripping drywall etc was mentioned either.

  • Real Estate Agent · Nampa, ID · Member since 2017 · 439 posts · 361 votes
    6y

    @Nadir M.

    1. Do you’re own research on expected cost. If it is considerably less normally, get details on why it was so much more and how the PM can work to keep costs down.

    2. You said any repairs over $200 must be cleared by you according to your agreement. This was not, and I would not consider a dripping sink an emergency. Urgent, but no emergency. He hasn’t done this. This is a clear breach of contract. Do a review of the contract and expectations.

    3. You said this isn’t the first time. Use the other instances as examples, and explain the repercussions of a breach of contract (what you are going to do if this continues to be an issue)

    He may or may not realize what is the matter, but by having a conversation you then know he knows there are issues and it gives him opportunity to fix them

  • Property Manager · Westminster, CO · Member since 2018 · 486 posts · 110 votes
    6y

    @Sarah Brown

    Thank you Sarah. I’m def going to dig deeper on Monday and try to find a clear understanding of this situation and previous ones. Not every tenant call needs to be at the expense of the landlord...the tenant is becoming too needy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.