Tenant complained about damages after repair

Tenant complained about damages after repair

Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes

We have installed a new window in our tenant's apartment. Tenant sent us the following email "We would like to address an incident resulting from the window installation. We noticed today that some of our property was damaged I have attached pictures. One of the figurines that was on top of our wedding cake made by a friend has been permanently damaged and I don't think it could be fixed. We were not notified of the damages. The workers left a bunch of metal and screws on our bookshelf as well as a bunch of dust and some of it was placed directly on one of our wooden pictures. Another thing that is concerning to us is our camera was unplugged while they were working. I understand if this needs to be dealt with after the holidays. I just wanted to touch base before I forgot."

This is the first time for us please advise what to do and how to respond? We did notify them that we will have people coming to install a new window way in advance and a day before the event. Yes, we assumed that they would move stuff away from the window but looks like they didn't. 

We appreciate all the suggestions! Thank you!

4Reply
57 views

Most Popular Reply

Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
Moderator
Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

I'm shocked by those of you who are saying to remove the tenant and that they're a bad tenant. 

If workers were unsupervised in my home (even if renting it)

Broke my stuff. 

Unplugged the camera that would prove it. (what ethical company does this? I'd be making sure nothing was missing in my house for days because this would freak me out)

I'd be upset too- Maybe even more so than this tenant. They seem super chill about it and not being rude or demanding at all. 

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Elena Koyun does your tenant have renters insurance? That’s what this stuff is for

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Caleb Heimsoth  Thank you! We will mention that in our response! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    If this is a good tenant, I would be apologetic and perhaps even offer to  pay for the figurine..... the repair people should NOT of broken things......  and IMO they should of covered furniture if they were going to saw and make a mess......  also, i never let any worker in a tenants home unless I or the tenant is there....  just for this reason...... 

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Mary M. Thank you, Mary. Yes, we are contacting the company tomorrow about this incident. And yes, from now on we will be there overseeing the work. 

    These are good tenants. :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Elena Koyun does your tenant have renters insurance? That’s what this stuff is for

    Using your own insurance should be for major losses, not small ones..... 

    Now, if the other parties coverage will pay? sure......

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Mary Mitchell I wouldn’t realistically expect any insurance to do anything about this, but that’s what it’s for.

    Being present at every repair isn’t scaleable. Sure it’s nice but the people I know with hundreds of units don’t do this.

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    6y

    Based on experience. This is my advise. Straight from the heart. Remove this tenant immediately. 

    Shawn Coverdell

    Homes in the Hood

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Caleb Heimsoth I assume anyone with hundreds of rentals employs its handymen? that is a different scenario than letting unknown people into your tenants home.

    would you allow a complete unknown into your home when you or your representative is not there?

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6y

    Advise the tenant to go pound salt ! Fear no tenant .this person is obviously a lunatic looking for a payout 

  • Investor · Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 91 votes
    6y

    Express sympathy/empathy for their situation so you stay being the good guy. But dont take ownership, you were paying someone to do a repair not to mess up your tenants belongings. Provide the contact info for the company and let them talk to see of they can figure it out. 

  • Joshua WattsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga · Member since 2018 · 137 posts · 142 votes
    6y

    If the tenants are good renters I would pay for what was broken and go over to the apartment yourself and make sure everything is clean and the tenants are happy. Maybe you are out $100.00 for new figurines so what. Then take out the money from the contractor. Just think about it, if the tenants pay $800.00 per month for 4 years that is $38,400.00 so what if you are out $100.00. 

  • Contractor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2018 · 262 posts · 407 votes
    6y

    I agree with @Caleb Heimsoth 100% on this one. That's what their insurance is for and the really have no case against you when it really comes down to it. Worse case you lose a tenant and get a better one. =). If they threaten to sue, they have no case unless you make it to Judge Judy then you get free advertisement haha. Best of luck! 

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I'm shocked by those of you who are saying to remove the tenant and that they're a bad tenant. 

    If workers were unsupervised in my home (even if renting it)

    Broke my stuff. 

    Unplugged the camera that would prove it. (what ethical company does this? I'd be making sure nothing was missing in my house for days because this would freak me out)

    I'd be upset too- Maybe even more so than this tenant. They seem super chill about it and not being rude or demanding at all. 

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Elena Koyun, I disagree with @Caleb Heimsoth and @Junior Soares.

    The tenant only has you to hold accountable because you were responsible for this repair and it was people working for you that caused the damage. So, you are responsible.

    However, the person doing the repair is responsible to you because they caused the damage.

    So, first I would discuss what the tenant is looking for in terms of compensation and then contact the company that did the repair. If the company stands up to the responsibility all is good.

    If the company does not then I would negotiate with the tenant to come to a fair compensation. If the tenant has renters insurance that will cover the loss I would pay any deductible or else pay whatever the loss is.

    If the loss is more than trivial I would then go after the company who did the repair and make their insurance pay. Any insured contractor will have coverage for damage they might do to the property. Once you have a loss (paid the tenant), you should have standing as their client to make a claim against their insurance.

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Shawn Coverdell Please, tell me why? This is the first time they complained. But this is the first time we had someone do something in their unit. Usually, we fix everything ourselves. 

  • Wholesaler · Coeur d'Alene, ID · Member since 2019 · 31 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Elena Koyun I see everyone talking about renters insurance, and while that is good and what it is there for (General damages, theft, etc), there is one thing that I did not see mentioned. Usually contractors are required to carry a bond for damages (depending on your state). If they have proof that the contractors did the damage, then they can go after the contactor for the incurred damages. If they combine the renters insurance with that, it is always possible that the insurance company would do most of the leg work in contacting and dealing with the contractor.

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Junior Soares We do not think they would take us to court for it. We agree that the window company should have cleaned after work was completed and not unplug their surveillance camera, more - say something to us when they broke the figurine. We were there, we were back and force between two units and didn't look at the shelf before letting the company go. 

    But we also do not know what they would want for reimbursement for the figurine. It sounds as it is priceless from the message. It makes us feel a little uncomfortable. We didn't ask yet, but we will after we hear from the window installation company. 

    Thank you for your comment! Thank you, everyone! 

  • Madison, WI · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Jason Hammond Yes, we are contacting the contractor before we discuss anything further with the tenant. Thank you for your advice! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I disagree about the renters insurance thing. Renters insurance is not for damage caused by the landlord and/or their representatives. You think a tenant should have to spend money on their deductible or losses when the landlord or somebody acting on behalf of the landlord is at fault? I would imagine a Judge would disagree with you. That is what YOUR insurance is for, not the tenants. I don't see a dollar figure by the OP, which does make a difference. I think contacting the company that installed the window is the right way to go here. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    @Mary Mitchell I’m a landlord and a tenant. And yes when Repair’s are done to where I live, I’m almost never home. I think In almost 4 years of it being like this, I’ve been home once. Never had an issue, of any kind. In this case, I think it was just a poor choice of contractor.

  • Homeowner · Mililani, HI · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Caleb Heimsoth

    You are upgrading their unit !! Sure the window needed replacing, but life is a two way street. The tenants should have moved valuables away from the work area and if it was me I’d have tossed an old sheet on any nearby furniture, seems like common sense!

    But would not use that contractor again.

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Elena Koyun Yes, this is not good. Surely, the contractor knew and didn't say anything especially before you paid the contractor. 

    The best thing you can do now is damage control and try to salvage the situation with a genuine apology and possibly monetary concessions. 

    At the end of the day, people can hold really high sentimental values to certain things in the house, so tread lightly. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    What would you do if this happened at your owner personal house? You would call the contractor and discuss the situation with them...... they didn't clean up after the work and "may" have broken something while doing the work. If they won't "make it right", then you decide if you want to inherit that responsibility. No way am I getting insurance involved for a tiny issue like this
  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6y

    A figurine was damaged , some screws left , dust , and camera unplugged ?    Did you tell the tenants contractors were coming and to clear the area around the window ?   Thats minor stuff

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland OR · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth:

    @Mary Mitchell I’m a landlord and a tenant. And yes when Repair’s are done to where I live, I’m almost never home. I think In almost 4 years of it being like this, I’ve been home once. Never had an issue, of any kind. In this case, I think it was just a poor choice of contractor.

    So your landlord gives keys to your home to some random  repair worker from a company not related to your landlord  and goes into your home unsupervised and you are ok with this?  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.