Finding eviction records in Baltimore City??

Finding eviction records in Baltimore City??

Chris K.Pro Member
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes

I'm curious if anyone here knows how to look up eviction records for Baltimore City??? I've tried but cannot find them online, do they let you look thru them at the courthouse?? I filed for eviction a few months ago and I received a phone from a guy asking if I wanted to sell who got my information off of the eviction records. I'm interested in getting landlord information for a similar use.

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Ned CareyPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
12y

@Chris K There is no searchable database that I am aware of for Baltimore city. Some people go to the basement of the courthouse at 501(?) E Fayette st and copy the information manually.

Rent notices.com has a database of evictions they have done if you are a member.

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    Did you try looking at this link?
    http://www.courts.state.md.us/courtrecords.html

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    13y

    Yup I've used that before , It seems to have all cases except rent/eviction cases.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    13y

    That is also the case in my state (PA). I believe that they do that to protect the guilty ... otherwise, nobody would want to rent to those evicted tenants, and no tenant would want to rent from some landlord against whom lots of tenant complaints have been filed.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    Bumping this cause I'm doing some screenings again. I cannot find anywhere that will show records of evictions in Baltimore City anyone know of a site??

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    I dont think that there is public acess to evictions in Maryland . I was talking to an AA county sheriff and he was telling me that he could make a lot of money publishing the names of the deadbeat tenants .

  • Wholesaler · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    I was just at a meetup last week and I hear that you can go to the court house and get this info. It will have the landlords contact info on it

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y

    @Javon Dixon I figured there had to be some way cause after I filed my first eviction I got a call from an investor asking if I wanted to sell. So I'm guessing the courthouse method isn't a "searchable" database.

    @Matthew Paul he definitely could!! I'd pay for a search at this point.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    12y

    He wants to keep his job , or he would .

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris K There is no searchable database that I am aware of for Baltimore city. Some people go to the basement of the courthouse at 501(?) E Fayette st and copy the information manually.

    Rent notices.com has a database of evictions they have done if you are a member.

  • Wholesaler · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2013 · 85 posts · 10 votes
    12y

    @Chris K. @Ned Carey put more detail on what I was trying to say to you. Hes Definately the man you want to listen to.

  • Middle River, MD · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    So I guess the only real way to get eviction records would be to go to the county or city courthouse? Which would only get you the records for that county or city. So you would need to go to every county in Maryland's courthouse to get a good idea of someone's eviction record. People could easily rent in different counties. This doesn't sound very feasable.

  • COCKEYSVILLE, MD · Member since 2009 · 65 posts · 28 votes
    12y

    It is worse than checking each county. Some county's have multiple district courts. The court house only has current/recent evictions, and that stack of papers is huge and routinely tossed. Essex district court, somehow, always just put them in recycle bin and are not available. People use these "pink sheets" as leads to landlords that might want to sell. It is also a lead on someone who will buy and investment.

    MD case search will show judgments. That is a big clue, especially if owed to a LL.

    Montgomery county is supposedly testing electronic rent notice filings, as a first step to going state wide.

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Wayne G.:

    MD case search will show judgments. That is a big clue, especially if owed to a LL.

    Montgomery county is supposedly testing electronic rent notice filings, as a first step to going state wide.

    I'd love to see MD go to an E-file system for rent notices!!

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    National Tenant network has the data, so it is available.... maybe not online for free from county websites, but the compilation of records exists. I am an NTN customer and only know about this because an applicant in NC about a year ago (from Baltimore) had an undisclosed eviction, so we did not rent to him.

  • Middle River, MD · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    I'm not familiar with the National Tenant Network. I just assumed one of the online places advertising eviction reports would be useless for Maryland.

  • Real Estate Solutions Provider · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 571 posts · 452 votes
    11y

    @Chris K. I am considering targeting tired landlords through eviction court. Did you receive a ton of mail/phone calls once your eviction became public record? Have you done anymore evictions in the past 3 years and were you contacted by buyers at that time?

    Thanks in advance for your response.

    E. Harris

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Chris K. I am considering targeting tired landlords through eviction court. Did you receive a ton of mail/phone calls once your eviction became public record? Have you done anymore evictions in the past 3 years and were you contacted by buyers at that time?

    Thanks in advance for your response.

    E. Harris

     That was my only eviction and only one person contacted me from it. I know quite a few people who contact eviction leads now.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Chris K. I am new to wholesaling. One of my friends mentioned mailing to evicting landlords as a way to reach a motivated seller. This greatly intrigued me but I have been enable to unearth an information about how to find these records. All of the threads I read said people went to the county courthouse and are unable to find them and were then stumped. This is my result as well. Your last comment in this thread is the first I have seen where someone has actually successfully contacted landlords in the eviction process. I'm curious where you or the people you know found this information. I went to my county courthouse in January and searched through the court cases for all of January and December and was unable to find anything helpful. I searched for 'evictions' and 'writs of restitution.' I have also talked to the court clerks and they know nothing. What did you and/or your friends search for in the court's computer? Or did you find it in another location or website?

    Thanks in advance,

    Adam 

  • Chris K.Pro Member
    OP
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    8y

    @Adam Baughman I still do not know how this person got my information. I've asked around at the local courthouse where I filed and they didn't have any answers for me either. My best guess at this point is that someone who works there is giving this information to an associate of theirs so they can use the information.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Chris K. Okay good to know. I thought you had found a way to find the info. I guess I will try wholesaling another route. Thanks for the info and the interesting thread! :)

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Rental credit search have it. But needing fica, driver license etc.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.